Chapter 32: Into the Water

Our eyes connect for moment, before I let out a long awaited sigh. I walk up the steps faster this time avoiding a clutter of students leaving their lessons as the bell sounds throughout the school.

As I make my way into the half empty library, I recall my moment with Yura just now. I couldn't believe that she was the one confessing to me. Did she really like me or just as a friend?

'I like you, Kyungsoo' echoed in my head till I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder.

~

"Kyungsoo-gah! Wake up!" Yells Miss Gahyeon, the small stern librarian. "You've been sleeping here for the last 10 minutes. This isn't your dorm room." She says while putting both her hands on her hips. I roll my eyes at her which causes her to erupt.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry, that wasn't directed to you. I'm awake now." I sarcastically apologise. Miss Gahyeon hisses at me before walking back to her desk. I look at my open laptop, the history assignment which has just started feels like a decade of work.

Later that afternoon, at the school hall.

"Welcome, everyone to the senior's enrichment study ceremony!" Starts Mr Leeso. "What's this?" mutters Vernon in confusion, "looks exciting." Interjects Suga rotating to see the hall of seniors. I nod in agreement to Suga. This was a nice escape from studies and my own problems, like Yura.

"Every year, seniors have to go through a three-day course where they engage in different enrichment studies to help them get into their desired universities. It'll also look good on your statement, so choose wisely!" announces Mr Leeso proudly.

As the host of the enrichment course proceeds through a long list of subjects, students pile up behind them in hope to sign up. I decided to join the Korean cooking enrichment study and also the swimming class. They were relatively easy, I thought.

Evening, swimming enrichment class.

The school had a massive swimming pool at the back end of Chun Guk High School's old building. It was almost as big as our football pitch, which made me utterly surprised.

"Aigoo." Gasps the swimming instructor; HyoSan. "It's full in here, isn't it?" she chirps. HyoSan was a female in her late twenties, but she looked incredible. Almost all the male students kept glancing back and forth at her, including me. She had the perfect toned body, and her medium bob hair fell in place on all the right places. As she took the register some of the male students on my side giggled sheepishly. I looked too feeling shameless.

Almost 15 minutes into the lesson, a late arrival silences the class. Yura. Yura skids into the swim class panting. "S-sorry, I'm late. I'm Yura," she bows abruptly. HyoSan scans her register briefly before shaking her head. "there's no Yura, is there a mistake?" She asks concerned. "Err... Actually, I just joined now. I was late to assembly." I was folding my legs keeping to myself, but everyone averted their eyes to me when Yura starts walking my way. I scoot away from her as she finally sits beside me. She scoots over with me. We repeat this motion three times until, the teacher finally scolds us. "You too. Stop it. Here, Kyungsoo you can sit over here, beside me." I leap up at the suggestion causing all the other boys to complain.

From the adjacent side of the pool, I discover Yura has been deeply focusing on me. Why now, Yura? Why, why, why? If she waits a little longer till I can figure myself out, maybe then...

"Kyungsoo-ah, it's your turn," says Hoshi as he plunges out of the water. While I swim, I feel free. My strokes against the water are soft and efficient. As I dip out of the water, the class burst in applause, "wow, a new record Kyungsoo. 19.8 seconds." Claps HyoSan grinning. I bow at her, while grinning back.

Yura jolts up from the side, "Can I go next HyeSan?" HyoSan arches her eyebrows at the misinterpretation of her name, but still lets Yura through.

Yura makes it out with 26 seconds which causes her frustration to rise. Did I mention, Yura can either be really cute when she was angry or really scary. Right now, she looked hilarious, because she was drenched and she was letting her jealous side get the best of her. At the end of the swimming enrichment, Yura promised HyoSan she'd clean up because she had previously been the Senior prefect. "그래" smiled HyoSan as she exited the swimming court.

I'm the second last to leave the swimming pool, I take one glance at Yura before heading into the boys changing rooms. On my way there I see the queue and sigh. 10 boys scramble into the shower rooms before me yelling and making a fuss on who gets in first. So, I decide to check up on Yura while I wait for the boys to finish.

~

"What do you want?" asks Yura dryly as she catches a glimpse of me through the crack in the door.

"Did you know it was me?"

"Of course." She replies casually.

I huff. I didn't know what to do. Yes; I had made things worse these last few days by ignoring her...

"You don't have to stay with me. I'm okay."

I focus on her expression without saying anything. "Yura... You know, I like you." I confess.

Suddenly, Yura's feet get caught in a tangle and she trips, landing flat into the water. A big splash wets the floor all over again, and I chuckle, until... Where did she go? Why isn't she coming out? I stand still while scratching my head in a slight panic. She knows how to swim... Why isn't she coming out?

I take a few minutes before finally diving headfirst into the pool. Underwater, I see her floating like a piece of fabric. Her hair dispersed into the water. I swim faster and faster to her until I drag her out. As I place her on the poolside, her eyes are glued together. I look for her pulse; its slow. I start panicking. My breath already quickened from the swimming, I felt like I was going crazy.

"Yura. Yura!" I yelled at the top of my lungs hoping she'd wake up. But she didn't. two boys come running into the swimming court. "What happened?" Shouts Xiumin and Myungsoo in sync as they run towards us.

I shake Yura and break into another panic. Why are you like this?! Please wake up! Myungsoo; another senior student pushes me out of the way and tries CPR. Myungsoo breaths steadily into Yura's mouth while I watch in disbelief. Shortly after, Yura coughs up her water and her eyes begin to open. "Are you okay?!" I cry. "Let's take you to the hospital." I incline.

Yura shakily reaches for my wrist and looks up at me.

"What did you say?" she says weakly.

"I said, you need to go to the hospital" I repeat more clearly.

"No... Before that."

I smile at her in amazement. Is that what she's thinking about? I gesture to the boys to leave.

"Come on Yura-gah," I help her up and we head to hospital in Youngjae's car.

Hospital. Later in the evening.

"You've got a lot of explaining to do Mister Do," says Youngjae raising his eyebrows while Yura gets her checkup.

"Actually, there's not much Youngjae-shi," I admit honestly.

"Are you sure you didn't push her in?"

"Ha, aniyo." I chuckle, feeling slightly insulted.

"Good, I knew you wouldn't do that. She'll be fine anyway." Youngjae chuckles too.

The nurse says that Yura is perfectly fine, she possibly had a shock that's why she didn't react to the water. We arrive back at Namja Academy quickly. Yura gets out first, she bows politely towards Youngjae and says 'thanks' to us, before scurrying off to her dorm.

I wave goodbye to Youngjae and head back to my dorm too. Less than a month till our finals, 2 months till graduation and then it's time to leave Namja Academy. For the first time since beginning NJA, I actually felt sad to be leaving.

> please comment!! Anything, I dont mind! I just miss reading your thoughts. Thanks ^^