Chapter 33: Jeju Island

*RING*

The school bell chimes as the second enrichment begins. It is 11am and I rush into the Korean cooking class with a wide grin on my face as I whiff up the fresh smell of samgyeopsal (삼겹살). I briefly observe the class of eight students, possibly one of the least popular classes, considering swimming had over 25. "Annyeonghaseyo (안녕하세요), my name is Chef Yim Jung. I will be instructing you for this class." He went on. He was a calm chef unlike some who suddenly panicked or had a quick temper. "So, for this task you'll need a partner. Choose yourself, and queue over there to get your equipment." He gestures towards the other table.

I look at the selection of students. Everyone stood still for a short moment as nobody really knew each other. There were 6 girls and 2 boys. So I decided to pair up with the other boy, but to my surprise he had already got a partner. I was last to be paired and so was So Hyun so we automatically had to be a pair. I'd never met her before, but I had no trouble getting on with her as the lesson went by. It was a quick lesson.

"I really like this dish," comments So Hyun while frying. I cut the tofu.

"Me too, my little sister really likes it."

"Wow, you have a sister? That's so cool." Cheers So Hyun grinning.

"Yeah," I say smiling.

"I've always wanted a little sister. My sister died when I was little." She says nonchalantly. My mouth parts while I drop the vegetables into the pan.

"Ah, I'm sorry."

"No it's fine. I'm sure you love your sister a lot." She concludes and gives me an eye-smile. The class ends shortly after. Chef Yim gives us 4 stars only because the presentation lagged, but I was impressed. I gave full credit to So Hyun because I didn't know a single thing about cooking.

2 months later. Dorm room, early morning.

"Kyungsoo! Are you ready?" shouts Suga while packing his bags.

"I'm here!" I reply cheerfully. We were getting ready for a three day trip to Jeju Island with the rest of the seniors. Exams had ended on a good note and I was over the moon to finally take a break from all the hardcore studying. Yura and I didn't talk often, but I still hadn't forgotten her confession. The "I really like you," was something I'd remember forever. Even after my confession, not to mention twice, I hadn't been on the road to success. Since that night I saved her from drowning or should I say caused her to drown in the first place, she hardly approached me. What was wrong with her? Did she want to play with my head all over again?

"Let's go!" chides Vernon as he enters the room impatiently with all his gear. We all head out to the front of the school and queue behind the other students. After all the necessary checks, we finally boarded the plane to Jeju 2 hours later.

Jeju Island. Hotel.

By the time we arrived in the grand hotel, I was exhausted. The flight wasn't even that long but Vernon and Suga's friendly bickering was really annoying.

"Hey..." I hear a soft voice from behind. I turn to find Yura staring back at me sweetly.

"Oh. Hi." I reply, maybe harsher than I anticipated.

"Are you still ignoring me?"

"No." I turn back, hiding a laugh. Your're ignoring me.

"I-I need to tell you something."

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Nothing." She hesitates. "I just wanted to tell you that... I... really don't want to be like this anymore. I'm ready." She forced a confident smile, which could've fooled anyone.