Chapter 1

I took a deep breath as I let my eyes scan my peers gathered along the entrance of West Creek Highschool. Standing among them were the popular crowds, both male and female. There was the female half, the beautiful cheerleaders who were stereotypically huddled around the latest issue of a fashion magazine. Then there was the male group, the athletic football stars. The ones with muscles so big, you could hardly wrap your hand around their arm. The boys that were so full of themselves, they thought they can have any girl they want, for as long as they want. This is why they are typically described as players.

            Outside the popular groups, there were many more. The geniuses, the wannabes, the "bad" kids, the druggies, and the musicians. The list was endless.

The way I saw it, high school had a food chain. The higher you were on it, the more you are allowed to feed on. At the very top, there were the football players and their cheerleaders, then falling a little below were the wannabes, and after that, all the others.

But at the very bottom of the chain was one group that everyone had the right to pick on. Everyone was above them, nobody below. That group had no power in the jungle called high school. That group is known as "The Losers," and I fall into that category.

But the worst part is what is known as the labeling. The next three years is decided for you on one day, the first day of freshman year. Ironically, that day was the day that my whole life fell apart. I wasn't damaged by high school, in fact, I didn't blink an eye when my "hot girl" status was revoked on the second day. 

            I slowly exhaled the breath I had been holding in. I spotted my few friends that also had the title, "Loser." They smiled as I approached them.

"Hey! I missed you guys so much!" I said, returning the grin. I hated having to spend the whole summer without my bestfriends. I had to deal with my brother constantly worrying about me and deciding everything I did was a potential threat to my health or life. I couldn't chop up tomatoes with a kitchen knife without being scolded.

"How was your summer, Amber?" My friend Sydney asked. It was the first day of our third year in high school and most of them by the looks of it were pretty excited.

"It was pretty good. My older brother got an acceptance to Yale!" I announced and Sydney let out a small squeal. She had been there when my older brother, Tyler, had sent his letter, in hopes of being accepted.

"When did you find out?" Alice, another one of my friends questions me. I roll my eyes, preparing for the interrogation I could feel heading my way. Despite this, I was actually grateful that they showed so much interest in my life, and I tried to hide my smile.

"About a week ago," I answer. I thought back to the time when he found out. He had been so overjoyed that he had scooped me up into his arms and twirled me around like he used to when I was younger. 

"How was your summer?" I asked Alice, trying to steer the topic away from mine. Even though I was thankful that they were interested in what I had to say, I still felt guiltily uncomfortable with the way they were all looking at me.  She shrugs her shoulders.

"Fine," She said. I gave her a smile. She smiles back briefly as her eyes wander to something behind me.

I notice Alice's eyes widen, and she looks down and blushes.

"Okay, don't look now but Noah is totally looking our way," She informed us, keeping her eyes on the floor. I looked over my shoulder and saw that Noah Flynn, the captain of the football team was indeed looking at us.

"I told you not to look!" Alice hissed, letting her blonde hair cover her face.

Just as I was about to do the same, the bell rang, signaling the beginning of school.

I picked up my bag and slung it over one shoulder carelessly, trying to seem nonchalant. 

"You ready?" I asked my few friends. A chorus of groans gave me my answer and a small smile slipped onto my face as we dragged ourselves into the agonizing place known as high school.

Please tell me what you thought of this. I really need some constructive criticism.

Thank you so much for reading <3 <3 <3

And please

VOTE OR COMMENT OR MAYBE FAN? It would mean the world to me :)