Chapter 30

“Amber has a crush. Amber has a crush!” Alice chanted loudly in a teasing voice. Quickly, I slapped my hand over her mouth to stop her rather loud joking. I already regretted telling her my complicating feelings. I glanced towards the doorway warily, expecting Tyler’s head to reappear any second. It didn’t take that long to use the bathroom.

“Shut up before Tyler hears you!” I hissed, my voice coming out sharper than I intended. Just as I was about to apologize, Alice shot me a smile that seemed to be her own version of an apology.

“Sorry. So are you going to hide this from him? I mean, he does take the protective brother role to an extreme,” Alice trailed off. I wanted to defend Tyler, tell Alice that he had a good reason; tell her that I was thankful for him being protective. But I couldn’t mention that portion of my life to her.  So instead, I rolled my eyes and forced a small smile.

“Yeah, he does. Besides, it’s not live I’m in love with the guy. We aren’t even dating!” I protested in a quiet whisper.

“You may not be dating, but you guys would be so cute together!” She whispered back. She gave a hushed squeal of excitement.

                Just as I was about to reply, Tyler reappeared in the doorway. He was walking down the hallway, but still not in the room. Immediately, I took an instinctive action.

“So Alice! I cannot believe how unbelievably heavy my last period was!” I almost shouted. My eyes flickered to Tyler’s nearing figure before moving back to Alice. She gave me a small nod to show her understanding.

“Yeah Amber! I went through like five tampons a day!” She said, mimicking my loudness. I looked at Tyler. He had a grimace as he noticeably winced. Quickly, he slid away from the room. A few seconds later, I heard him run up the stairs and into his room. I laughed and looked back at Alice, who was also grinning.

“That worked nicely. But now back to you and Noah,” She said, her eyes sparking with curiosity. I sighed.

“For the last time. There is nothing going on between me and Noah. It’s just that he makes me feel so…. Alive. Like I’m on a constant high,” I said, hesitating on my words. Alice looked wary.

“Do you mean feel alive as in the heart, or you know, alive?” Alice asked. I shook my head at her.

“What you mean alive?” I asked, imitating her emphasis on the word ‘alive.’

“You know. Is your relationship physical?” She asked, mumbling over her words. However, I was still confused.

“Yeah we kissed a few times,” I said nodding. She threw her hands up in the air in exasperation.

“I mean, have you guys done it?” She asked, sounding embarrassed.

“Done what?” I asked. Were we supposed to kiss at midnight or something? I doubt that, since we were never really a couple. Alice ran a hand down her face.

“Okay, I’m going to ask this in plain English, so that your innocent mind can understand,” She said. I nodded and waited for her to continue. “Have you and Noah had sex?”

“Alice!” I yelped, embarrassed by her question. Of course I and Noah haven’t done that yet. I knew better than just to give my virginity to the school’s biggest player. Alice knew me better than that.

“So is that a yes?” She confirmed. I violently shook my head.

“No. No we haven’t done that. And we never will,” I said certainly. Although, now that I thought about it. There were a few times where I might have been eager for something more than a kiss, but I never put my wants into action.