Chapter 41

Noah’s POV

The bell rang for the last class of the day and I turned to Amber with a smile. She smiled shyly at me and started to load her books into her bag.

“Can I ask you a favor?” I asked as we walked through the hallways. She nodded.

I had been debating the whole day whether or not to ask this of her. At the beginning of the day I wasn’t going to ask her, but then after the closet scene, I figured it was worth it if we could spend more time together. Then Drew happened and changed my mind. Nothing was worth putting her safety at risk. After his class with Amber, Drew took off and I changed my mind yet again when Drake gave me a very friendly reminder that he would personally rip my balls off if I didn’t show up.

“Do you want to stay for to watch football practice?” I asked in one nervous breath.

Her reaction was exactly what I had feared. She exhaled a short breath of laughter and looked at me with disbelief in her eyes. I scratched the nape of my neck nervously.

“I mean, only if you want to. A lot of the players bring their girlfriends to watch them practice so I thought that you might want to also. Alice will be there so I’m sure you won’t get bored. And I could give you a ride home after,” I continued but stopped once I realized I was rambling on. 

This time she smiled and leant up to kiss my cheek. I wanted to turn my head sideways so her lips met my own but I forced my head to stay still.

“Of course I want to come. It’s just that you looked so nervous and I was sort of scared of what you were going to say,” She explained. I chuckled to cover up my own stupidity.

We separated once we got to the field; I went to the changing rooms and she headed for the bleachers. I pushed to door open and tried not to inhale through my nose. The locker rooms never had a pleasant smell.

“Good, you’re here. I was worried you weren’t going to show,” Drake said to me as we changed into uniform. Coach always made us practice in full uniform to get the “game feeling.”

“Of course I showed up. It wouldn’t be a practice if I wasn’t here. I’m the star of the show,” I laughed.

I was adjusting my shoulder pads when we heard a loud whistle from out on the field. We all lined up in formation, like we would do in a game, and charged out onto the field. I came first, with the linebacker and kicker behind me.

I glanced up at the bleachers just in time to see Amber throw back her head and laugh at something Alice said. Even from here, I could see the smile light up her face and her shoulders shake from laughing

I was still daydreaming when I knocked straight into Coach. I jumped back and took a few more steps for insurance.

“Keep your head in the game Flynn!” He barked. I nodded and continued doing the warm up laps around the perimeter or the field.