Chapter 28

Amber’s POV

I woke up the next morning to the sound of fast, upbeat music. I glanced around in my confused state, not knowing where it was coming from.

I spotted something moving from the corner of my eye and looked to see Noah’s IPhone lying on my bedside table. It was vibrating as it rang, making the phone shake and slide closer towards the edge.

Before it fell off, I grabbed it and checked the caller ID. A picture of a woman I’ve never seen before was on the screen. Quickly, I clicked the answer button and brought the phone to my ear.

“Hello?” I asked, before realizing how rude I was being by answering Noah’s phone.

“Hello. May I ask who this is?” A voice asked. I could tell that it belonged to a female who was at least 35, if not older.

“Umm, this is Amber. I’m answering Noah’s phone,” I tell her. 

Off course you answered Noah’s phone, idiot, my sarcastic inner self scolded me.

“I mean that Noah is asleep and I heard his phone ringing and I didn’t want to wake him up. Sorry, I didn’t realize how rude I’m being. Should I tell him you called or-“I rambled on. She cut me off with a laugh.

“It’s quite alright. You’re not being rude at all. But it would be great to let Noah know I called,” She said pleasantly.

“Sure!” I told her. We exchanged goodbyes and a few seconds later, the line went dead.

Only when she hung up did I realize that I never found out exactly who she was. I clicked through Noah’s phone, trying to locate the call history. After a few minutes of finding nothing, I gave up and set the phone back and glanced around at the empty room.

The bed was empty, as I made Noah sleep in Tyler’s room last night. Strangely enough, I miss being subconsciously groped by him, as inappropriate as that might sound.

Yawning, I climbed out of bed and walked around aimlessly in my room. I wanted to go see if Noah was up but couldn’t bring myself to do it.

What if I say or do something that will make him hate me forever. What if I lose our friendship? What if he is mad at me for answering his phone?

I know I was being paranoid over something as small as this but the thoughts just kept coming. I tried to focus my mind on something else but was failing miserably.

Before I could talk myself out of it, I opened my bedroom door to wake up Noah. Instead, I felt myself running into a solid surface.