Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

“Mr. Evans!” I cried out, walking into the classroom while dragging a wincing Noah behind me. Our teacher sprung around and was about to yell at us before he analyzed Noah’s state. His bushy eyebrows shot up.

“What happened?” He asked me while studying Noah’s bloodied nose. I hadn’t hit him hard enough to break it, only enough for him to bleed for a few minutes. I guess I was lucky I took advanced health and self-defense last year.

“We were walking to class when he ran straight into a locker. I had to drag him all the way to class telling him that he had to take the test we have today,” I told him nodding innocently.  Noah’s face went from amused to like he was about to laugh in Mr. Evan’s face to horrified, probably because he was unaware of the test.

“I see. Well Miss Walker, why don't you accompany him to the nurse’s office,” Mr. Evans instructed. I nodded and led Noah slowly out of the giggling classroom. As soon as we were in the safety of the hallway I removed Noah’s hand which was cupping his face.

“What are you-?” Noah cut off as I ran my fingers along the bridge of his nose.

“Sorry about that. It’s going to stop hurting in like thirty seconds,” I said wincing. I hadn’t expected it to hurt that much. From what I was taught, you weren’t supposed to feel pain for more than ten seconds. Noah smirked.

“It’s okay. It never really was all that painful. I was over playing it,” He informed me. I smiled proudly.

“Well, I’ll say we have at least five minutes before we have to come back from the “nurse’s office,” I said sarcastically.

My phone vibrated from my pocket rather loudly, making me glad I wasn’t in a silent classroom. I pulled it out and checked the caller ID. I winced and warily answered it. This should be fun.

“What did I do wrong?” I asked without saying hello. Noah gave me a confused look but I ignored him.

“Amber? Thank God!” Tyler sobbed into the phone, and my annoyance turned into fear. What was going on? The last time I’d heard my brother cry was when we came home from school when he was seven to find out father extremely drunk. He only started crying when he was begging him to stop hurting me, scared that I was dying.

“Tyler? What’s wrong? I-is he there?” I asked, not really wanting to know the answer. Already tears were forming in my eyes at the sound of my eighteen year old brother sobbing. I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw an extremely concerned Noah. I ran into the girl’s bathroom and out of the open hallway. I pulled myself up to sit on the sink.

“Noah Flynn called me yesterday and told me he couldn’t find you! You didn’t call me back and I called the freaking FBI and they told me they couldn’t help and neither could the police. I drove back home and just got there five minutes ago,” He told me his story. The FBI? I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't do anything to help him, so Tyler must have been extremely desperate to find me. I felt extremely guilty as I listened to him. Noah had his ear next to my phone, indicating he heard all of that.

“I’m so sorry, Tyler. I should have called you back,” I told him, letting the tears roll freely down my face. Noah pulled me into a hug, which was oddly comforting. Tyler sighed into the phone.

“I should probably head back to college. I love you so much,” He told me, his voice cracking. I smiled weakly, forgetting he couldn’t see me.

“I love you too,” I answered softly. I hung up the phone and rested my head against Noah’s shoulder. I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of his even breathing to calm myself down.