Chapter 34

“Are you sure?” Noah asked me with a hesitant tone.

                I tried not to roll my eyes. He has asked me almost ten times since we left the house. It took a lot to convince him to change into his uniform and drive us back to school. I felt guilty about making him miss his last game so there was no way I was making him miss this one.

                “I’m absolutely sure now go!” I shoved him towards the field but he didn’t even stumble forwards. Instead, he pulled me into a quick hug.

                Before I had enough time to wrap my arms around him to return the hug, he pulled away and ran down the field. I stood there dazed for a couple seconds but quickly snapped out of it as the cheerleaders huddled around me.

                “Hey Amber. How have you been?” Lexi asked.

                She stood right in front of me and wore the cheerleading uniform, which consisted of a low-cut top and a really short skirt. It made me wonder what the principal was thinking when she chose this uniform for them.

                I rolled my eyes at her. Her bullying doesn’t faze me anymore. I have gone through a lot worse than simple high school girl’s teasing.

                “Hi Lexi. I’ve been good. What about you?” I asked, mimicking her false polite tone.

                “I see you chose to ignore our warning,” She said, her eyes narrowing. I rolled my eyes.

                “Oh yeah, thanks for that,” I said sarcastically. She gave a mysterious smile.

                “That was nothing compared to what will happen if you don’t keep your paws off Noah,” She threatened. I scoffed.

                “Paws? So now I’m an animal? What kind of animal? Am I a dog? A cat? A bunny? Maybe I’m a tiger. Tigers have paws,” I said. By the time I was done, Lexi looked confused but she covered it up with another cat smile.

                “How about I just give you a couple punches?  I mean, your face couldn’t get any more messed up so there’s no harm done,” She said stepping closer.

                I wanted to call her bluff but I saw her hands ball into fists. I stepped back and someone slung their arm around my shoulder.

                “Just leave her alone Lexi,” A familiar voice said.

                Drake.

                I thought about the day he broke Alice’s heart and I want to stomp on his foot until it breaks. Instead, I put on a fake smile.

                His helmet hung in his hand, which was slung across my left shoulder. Again, I imagined a violent way to hurt him.