Chapter 57

A scream caught in my throat as I sprung a few feet away from him. He didn’t acknowledge my sudden movement. His smile was frozen on his face.

“It’s been a while,” He said and all the memories came rushing back to me.

The sickening sound of bones cracking that I was all too familiar with echoed in my ears. Images of blood flashed every time I blinked.

I drew in a sharp breath and took another step away from him. I wanted to say something. I wanted to say something that would make him think he didn’t have any effect on me. But as usual, my body was frozen in fear.

“How have you been?” He asked in a kind voice. He stepped forwards just as I took another step backwards.

I felt like one of those girls in horror movies about to get their heads chopped off by some psycho serial killer. They knew they shouldn’t have answered the door in the middle of the night, but they did it anyway. Just as I knew I should run but couldn’t bring my feet to move.

My father’s kind façade dropped and was replaced by an angry expression.

“Answer me,” he commanded. I flinched and forced myself to look him in the eyes.

“I’m fine, thank you,” I mumbled. He must have been in a good mood, as I knew that I would usually get a slap across the face for not speaking clearly. I hung on to that last shred of hope and I backed myself all the way against the wall.

“That’s a good girl,” He said, stepping even closer. I was still frozen in fear as he stood only a foot away.

“Have you been doing well in school?” He asked. Since when does he care? Instead of saying something sarcastic, I heard my voice reply.

“Yes, Sir.”

He smiled at me. “Good.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked, my courage finally bursting. I side-stepped him and put a feet more feet between us.

His eyes hardened as he stepped towards me again.

“I’ve come to take you back with me,” He said.

His words sunk in. This is what Tyler had been warning me about for months but I just brushed him off.

“Where?” I made myself ask. He smiled as if he was thinking of something funny.

“New York. You are going to come live with me,” He said. My fears were confirmed.

“I’m not coming.” I’d meant for my voice to come out harsh but it sound weak and unsure. I cringed away from his angry expression.

“I’m not giving you a choice,” He said. Before I could do anything, he stepped forwards and grabbed my wrist. My last hope of escaping vanished and he trapped me against the wall.