Chapter 56

“Amber, I don’t know and honestly don’t care,” Alice groaned as we walked out of the car. As I stepped out into the open lot filled with tired people, dreading yet another Monday morning, my eyes scanned for Noah.

My stomach started to churn as I knew that the time before I was going to have to face him was flying by quickly. I spotted the popular crowd, but for some reason he wasn’t with them. I didn’t know whether to feel relieved or even more nervous.

Since he wasn’t with his usual crowd, that meant I probably wouldn’t see him for a while until he catches up with them. But that also meant there was a possibility he was wandering alone and we could bump into him any second.

I shook my head and forced my feet to catch up with Alice, who was a few paces ahead of me.

“Seriously, can a duck kill someone? There are so many ways that it could happen. It could tackle someone at full speed and they could fall backwards into a ditch,” I pushed on, rambling.

I couldn’t stop my mouth from moving. It was like I was on auto-pilot and couldn’t switch it off.

“The possibility of a duck flying into you just as you are walking by a ditch isn’t likely,” Alice said, shaking her head.

“But what if it shoved its butt into your mouth and suffocated you?” I asked, maybe a bit too loudly. We got some strange looks but everyone otherwise continued whatever they were doing.

“That probably wouldn’t do that either. Question: why would the duck want to kill you in the first place?” Alice asked. I shrugged.

“Sent by killer swans who want revenge on humans?” I tried. She shook her head.

“My best friend has gone mental!” She stated. I scoffed.

“Mental? Since when do you say mental? It’s a British word!” I said. She frowned.

“Just because the people in Harry Potter say it a lot doesn’t mean its British! Besides, your outlook on British people is completely stereotypical,” Alice said, sighing.

“It is to British! Are you going to start saying things like snogging now?” I asked sarcastically. She chuckled quickly before hiding it with a stern face but I still caught her.

“Really Amber?” She asked, shaking her head. I sighed and pretended to drop the subject.

“While having a lovely cup of cheerios with Queen Elizabeth, I stopped to snog the prime minister,” I said in a British accent.

Alice broke out into hysterical laughter, really earning us strange looks. I grinned proudly.

“That was the worst British accent I’ve ever seen!” She wailed through her laughter. She clutched her stomach.

I gave a bow. “Thank you, thank you,” I said sarcastically. She stopped moving to bend over as she giggled.