Chapter 22

Noah’s POV

“Noah, please just listen-,” Amber started to say but her scream cut her off. I slammed on the brakes and stopped the car in the middle of the road. I didn’t care about the blaring horns of the few cars around me.

“Amber?” I asked calmly. I listened very carefully, but no sound came out of the receiver. I checked the phone and the line was still connected.

“Amber?” I asked again, started to panic. Silence answered me.

“Amber, this isn’t funny,” I said, trying to sound calm. I waited for a few seconds but I didn’t receive an answer.

“Amber, please, answer me!” I said my voice raising and panic starting to become evident in it. I waited, hoping to hear her laugh and tell me that she was trying to scare me.

But instead I was greeted by silence.

“Amber!” I said, almost yelling as I spun the car around. I pressed foot on the accelerator until I was going 70 miles per hour on a 20 speed limit road.

“Amber, if you can hear me, I’m coming for you!” I told her, keeping the line connected. I slammed my foot on the brakes when I got in front of her house, not even bothering to pull up in the drive way.

Sparks flew out of the space under my wheels, but I didn’t care. I opened the door and sped to the house.

“Amber?” I called out once I was inside. I didn’t get an answer so I ran into the nearest room, leaving the door ajar.

I searched every room, but didn’t find her. I ran up the stairs and sighed in relief.

Amber was lying on the floor, unharmed. Her phone was lying beside her, as if she had dropped it.

My relief vanished as she lay immobile, sprawled on the floor.

“Amber?” I asked, kneeling down next to her. She didn’t say anything, or even bat an eye lid.

“Amber?” I tried again. I didn’t get a response.

“Amber!” I yelled, shaking her violently. Her eyes shot open and darted around until they settled on me.

“Noah?” She groaned and pressed a hand to her forehead. I leaned down to brush the hair out of her face.

“Amber what happened?” I asked softly. She shook her head and groaned again. Suddenly her eyes shot open and she tackled me to the floor.

“What are you doing?” I asked in amusement as she straddled me. She glared at me and pinned my arms to the floor.

“Noah Flynn, you are not leaving this spot for the rest of the night,” She said, leaning down so that her face was inches from mine. I sucked in a deep breath.

“Fine, with me,” I muttered as I stared at her beautiful face, my head too clouded to form any further words. She blushed and looked away, making me smile.

“Wait,” I said, finally remembering my goal. I struggled against her hold. I expected it to be easy but she was pretty strong for a girl.

“Amber, I need to go see him,” I protesting. She sat on my chest and leaned down on my hands, putting all of her weight on them.

“No, I’m not letting you beat the crap out of him,” She said sternly. I noticed I could move my arms, which meant I could get up. But, I couldn’t sit up without throwing her backwards.

“He deserves it,” I told her. I moved my hands free and lifted her off me.

“Hey!” She shouted as I got up and left her on the floor. I was almost out the door when I felt her jump on me from behind, wrapping her legs around my waist.