Chapter 28 (11k READS!)

Gilbert held onto Matthew and watched the blonde resting. He was so scared when Mattie had been attacked by that dementor, he felt like the world had stopped. He could have lost the love of his life. He could have had to live through the guilt of not being able to save him.

But he was okay. Matthew was okay.

The same, however, couldn't be said for him.

It had been over a week since the Quiddich match, where he had accidentally run into one of the stands and hurt his arm. He didn't tell anyone because he was to busy worrying about his comatose boyfriend. However, now that he knew the blonde boy in his arms would be alright, he really started worrying about himself. He pulled back his sleeve and saw how horribly damaged his arm was.

There were bruises all over his hand, wrist, and arm, all the way up to his elbow. There were cuts and scrapes all over the back of his arm. Though the worst was where a piece of the stand broke and cut deeply into the inside of his arm. It left a huge, ugly gash that would make anyone else vomit.

He wondered if he should tell anyone about this. He knew that he wasn't a county anymore, but he didn't want to worry anyone. Everyone was already stressed enough, he didn't need to add to their anxiety. Still, this was an injury he couldn't take care of in his own, and it's not like he could keep it a secret forever.

He carefully lay down Mattie onto the hospital bed and ran to the entrance of the Ravenclaw common room. Just as he had arrived there, a blonde girl walked out. She stopped in her tracks once she saw Gilbert standing there.

"Hello. You're Ludwig's brother, aren't you?" She asked.

"Ja, I'm Gilbert,"

"I'm Luna," she held out her hand and he shook it. "Pleasure,"

"You too. So, is Ludwig in there?"

"Yes. Would you like to speak with him?"

"Um, ja, could you ask him to come talk to me? It's really important,"

"Of course,"

Luna walked back in and a minute later came out with Ludwig following behind her. Gilbert gave her a quick thank you as she walked past.

"What do you want, bruder?" Ludwig asked in an annoyed tone. "It's getting late, you should be in bed,"

"Ja I know but this is really important!"

"Bruder, what could possibly be-"

Ludwig stopped talking the second Gilbert lifted up his sleeve and showed him his arm. Gilbert noticed that the bruises covered every spot on his arm up to his elbow, even though that wasn't the case beforehand. He knew that wasn't good. Ludwig looked horrified.

"Mein gott, what happened?!"

"I crashed into the stands at the Quiddich game," Gilbert said, staring at his beaten arm. "I thought it would get better, but it's only been getting worse...I don't know what to do..."

Ludwig had gone silent. He seemed to be processing what Gilbert had said. A moment later he grabbed the albino's uninjured arm and started dragging him back to the hospital wing. The Prussian tried to resist, but his brother had a death grip on his good arm. He sighed.

As they entered the hospital wing, Ludwig let go of Gilbert's arm and made a dash for the cabinets of medicine and other medical supplies. Gilbert made his way back to his Canadian boyfriend as quietly and quickly as he could. He sat next to the blonde and smiled sadly. He loved Mattie so much, but in that moment, realization struck him.

He was going to die, and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

He suddenly felt a drop on his hurt hand. Then another. Tears. Those were tears. One after another they fell, and he was powerless to stop it. Yet another thing he had no control of.

The worst part wasn't even that his own life would end. That was certainly terrifying, but there was one thing that broke his heart more than anything.

He so badly wanted to run away. To say that he was the awesome Prussia and that he could overcome anything, but he knew that no matter what, he couldn't change the facts. There was nothing he could do to change it.

He would leave them all behind.

As much as he hated it, the thoughts just wouldn't stop. What was going to happen when he died? Would there be a funeral? Would there be a gravestone? Would anyone cry? Would anyone not cry? Was there any way he could survive? Any way at all?

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned to see Ludwig giving him an understanding look. He smiled. He stood up and kissed Matthew's forehead before letting Ludwig tend to his arm.

He watched Matthew the entire time. He wondered if the Canadian boy would still love him after he died. He knew that even after he died, he would always love Matthew. He wondered if Matthew's family would mourn him. Francis would for sure. Arthur and Alfred, he wasn't too sure of. He wondered if there would be any way to tell Mattie how much he loved him after he died.

Oh well. It's not like he could change it, right?

_______________________

Gilbert woke up to hear a soft voice calling his name. He looked up and saw Matthew, remembering that he had fallen asleep in the hospital wing. The blonde looked confused, but happy.

"H-hey Gilbert," Matthew said, smiling brightly. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, nothing," Gilbert replied. "Just protecting you,"

The blonde laughed. Gilbert felt a smile work its way onto his face. Matthew was always so cheerful, so encouraging, so kind. How did he do that? He was just perfect in every way. The Prussian knew that he didn't deserve such an amazing boyfriend.

"Gilbert!"

Gilbert was snapped out of his spellbound gaze when the Canadian raised his voice.

"Are you alright Gilbert?"

"Ja, I'm fine," Gilbert said, planting a kiss onto the blonde's forehead. "As long as you're here with me,"

Matthew started blushing, and Gilbert started laughing at the adorable boy in front of him. He wrapped his arms tightly around Mattie.

He suddenly wondered, if he died, what would happen to Matthew? Would he get over it quickly? Would he never get over it? There were so many ways that his death could effect the boy, but he couldn't do anything about it...

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Gilbert,"

...screw it.

Death could kiss his ass for all he cared! The awesome Prussia wasn't gonna let the possibility of death get in his way! He was alive now, and he was gonna make the most of it! He kissed the blonde in his arms passionately and ran off to go to class.

Turns out that they had tests that day, and he aced them all. He even got to kick some ass in Defense Against The Dark Arts! Even Draco seemed like less of a prick than usual. He was making the most of his life in what little ways he could.

That night, he stayed with Matthew again. Though that night the rest of the Canadian's family decided to stay with them too. They all cramped around the shy blonde and constantly yelled at each other. Just as he was starting to get annoyed again, he saw Matthew laughing, and his anger slowly went away.

He would be completely lost without Matthew. He would do anything to make sure that his time spent was appreciating the tall blonde, as well as everyone and everything else.

He knew that someday he would die, and that he would leave everything behind, but that was another day.

________________________

A/N: 11k reads? GUUUUYYYYSSS I CAAAANNNTTTTT. I've run out of speeches I could make 😂 thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!!