Chapter 32 (16k READS!!)

Matthew looked out the large windows of the hospital wing. He guessed it was around midnight. He sighed. He wished he could do something, anything to help Gilbert. He turned toward the sleeping albino and stared. He looked like he was on the verge of death. His skin was a sickly pale color, he was covered in sweat, and his breathing was unnervingly uneven. Not to mention all of the bruises, which stood out on his pale skin.

Matthew felt his eyes fill with tears. He had known already that unlike the rest of them, Gilbert could die. But seeing the Prussian he loved get so close to death made him truly realize what could happen to him. If Gilbert died, he'd never come back. Ever. No matter what, he'd be dead.

He wanted to scream. He wanted to yell at the top of his lungs that it wasn't fair. He couldn't watch Gilbert die. He couldn't lose the one person who understood his fear of being forgotten. He couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle losing Gilbert.

He tried to calm himself, taking slow, deep breathes. Getting himself worked up wouldn't solve anything. Gilbert would be fine. He was strong. He wouldn't let himself die like this. He'd probably say it was "totally not awesome". Matthew just had to have faith in him.

The blonde sighed and lay his head on the hospital bed next to his unconscious boyfriend. He might as well try to get some rest. After all, staying up all night driving himself insane wouldn't help anything. He closed his eyes and slowly fell asleep.

______________________

When Matthew woke up, he was surprised to see that he wasn't in the hospital wing anymore. He was laying down on the couch in the Gryffindor common room. He slowly got up and saw a blonde blur of a person in front of him. The person shoved his glasses onto his face with more force than necessary and Matthew saw that it was Alfred.

"Hey," Alfred said simply.

"H-hey..." Matthew replied awkwardly. Had Alfred carried him from the hospital wing while he was asleep?

"You alright?" Alfred asked. He looked concerned, upset, understanding and frustrated all at once.

"Y-yeah...I'm fine..." Matthew replied groggily. "Why am I here?"

"I came to check on you and Gil in the hospital wing. When I saw you, you were out cold. I thought you should get some proper sleep, so I carried you up here."

So that was it, huh...

"...thanks for the gesture, I really appreciate...but..."

"You wanted to stay by his side?"

He didn't respond. Alfred sighed.

"You won't be doing him any good by depriving yourself of sleep,"

"I was sleeping,"

"Yeah, but you sure as hell don't look like it," Alfred held a mirror in front of Matthew's face and he nearly gasped. His hair was all over the place, his eyes were irritated and he looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. He couldn't really blame Alfred for worrying when he looked like such a mess.

"Matthew..." Alfred started. "He hasn't been like this for long and you're already driving yourself crazy. You've gotta try to calm down."

Alfred was right. He knew that Alfred was right. He was being irrational, completely letting his emotions control him. He knew Gilbert would be fine, and he knew Alfred was trying to help...but...

"Maybe you should head to class," Alfred said. "Doing magic school stuff might distract you from your worrying,"

Matthew sighed. He knew this was a fight he'd lose. Alfred wouldn't give up no matter what. He could see it in his brother's eyes. He sighed again and got up.