Chapter 33 (17k READS!)

Arthur smiled to himself, looking through the tests he had given to his students and grading them. Gilbert, with the help of some magic, was able to recover overnight. He still wasn't 100% healed, but most of his injuries were healed. All he had left was a bruise here or there.

Arthur was beyond relieved. He didn't exactly feel like having someone die at Hogwarts that year. Seriously, poor school had way too much crap to deal with, they could barely get through a year without at least a few major injuries. He certainly pitied Albus, poor guy's had more people turn on him than the blonde country could count.

He sighed. He had been really worried, especially since Matthew cared so much for Gilbert. Honestly, they were really lucky that they had magic on their side, or else Gilbert might have suffered permanent injuries...he couldn't imagine it.

The blonde took a careful sip of tea, making sure not to spill any of it on the tests he was grading. He was getting sick of all of Hogwarts's crap. Voldemort, the death eaters, everything seemed to somehow tie back to Hogwarts. In fact, he remembered having a conversation about this topic with a certain potter a long time ago...

________________

~flashback~

________________

Arthur sat across from James, both intently reading some books they had grabbed from the library. They were currently sitting in said library, both boys putting their feet on the table, despite being told not to. Arthur looked up from his book at James. It was their third year at Hogwarts together, and they were very close friends. Some people found it strange that a Slytherin and a Gryffindor could get along so well, but neither of them cared. They enjoyed each other's company, despite them being in houses that hated each other so intensely.

"Did you hear the rumor?" Arthur asked James.

"What rumor?" James replied, seeming only vaguely interested.

"It says that if you want to confess your love to someone, you should do it before she falls in love with someone else, you bloody moron,"

"Ha ha ha," James replied with a sarcastic tone.

"It's true,"

"It's also true that you're a bloody asshole,"

"I won't deny that,"

They both chuckled quietly, making sure not to disturb the reading of those around them. Arthur turned back to his book, still chuckling softly to himself. Arthur found himself reading about Voldemort and death eaters (though, it was still written as he-who-shall-not-be-named, which Arthur thought was pretty stupid considering how much easier it was to just write Voldemort).

"Hey, James?"

"Hm?"

"Why do you think bad things always seem to happen around Hogwarts?"

"Huh?" James looked up from his book with a puzzled expression. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Hogwarts is a great school, but it seems like a lot of bad things happen around it. Why do you suppose that is?"

"Who knows?" James replied, looking up from his book to make eye contact with Arthur. "Maybe it's just for some protagonist kid who's some sorta chosen one to fight off the evil of school," he emphasized the last part with sarcasm dripping from every word. Arthur couldn't help but laugh and join in.

"Yeah, and we're all just fictional characters!" Arthur focused onto James with mock intensity. "Maybe YOU'RE the protagonist!"

"Or maybe YOU'RE the protagonist!"

"No way, I'm the side character that's way more popular than the main character because he's so much more interesting!"

"Hey, that's no fair! Why do you get to be the interesting one?! I don't wanna be some bland protagonist that gets out shined by the supporting characters!"

"Too bad, cause that's what you are!"

"Wanker!"

"Bland protagonist!"

They both put their hands over their mouths, attempting (and failing) to stifle their laughter. They both focused back onto their books, sitting in comfortable silence. After a few minutes, Arthur broke the silence yet again.

"Seriously though, why do bad things always happen around Hogwarts? Are all of the bad things over? Will more bad stuff happen in the future?"

"Well, my bet is that if more bad stuff happens, it'll happen to you!"

"Me?! Why me?!"

"Because if you really are the side character that's more interesting than the protagonist, then you're gonna get mercilessly killed just to make the fans suffer!"

"Screw you, Blandy McDoucheFace,"

They laughed.

"Just..." Arthur started, somewhat seriously. "...don't die on me, okay? Promise?"

"Huh? Where'd this come from?" James chuckled. "You worried?"

James watched Arthur and waited for a response, but when he didn't get one, he started to grow concerned.

"Hey, you alright?" James asked, only to be met with more silence. He sighed. "Alright, I promise,"

Arthur let out a sigh of relief. For some reason, he had a really bad feeling. There was an intense feeling of anxiety engulfing his body, one that was gripping onto him and wouldn't let go. He had the horrible feeling that something bad would happen, he just didn't know what. When he felt a hand on his shoulder, he turned quickly and saw that it was James, who had a concerned expression. His hand was gentle, yet firm on Arthur's shoulder.

"You okay?" James asked. Arthur took a deep breathe. Inhale, exhale. He smiled up at his concerned friend.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't know what came over me..."

"The sudden realization that you're only a likable supporting character, destined to get killed off for the main character to mourn your death?"

"Fuck you,"

"Rest in peace, irrelevant supporting character,"

"I'm not even dead, you bloody wanker!"

_________________

~flashback ends~

________________

Arthur looked down that the test in his hand, only to notice that it had some wet drops of water on it. He saw some more water droplets falling onto his hands. It took him a moment to realize that those were tears. He reached one of his hands to his cheek, wiping away one of that many tears falling down his face.

He sighed, wiping more tears away. He hoped that Matthew would never have to go through this horrible feeling of losing someone. This horrible feeling, like being stabbed in the gut, turning happy memories into heart wrenching ones, like smearing blood all over them, ruining them...it would never go away. He hoped that Matthew would never have to feel this pain. The horrible, agonizing pain of losing someone you love...Arthur had experienced it more times than he could count. But every single time, it still hurt. It still pained him to think of James and Lily, and he knew that would never change.

However, watching someone you love go through the same pain...he just couldn't do it. He couldn't watch Matthew go through that.

And thankfully, he didn't have to.

__________________

A/N: I don't deserve this many reads uuuuuuuuuugggggghhgghhhhhhhhhghhhhhhhhhhhhh THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! I really hope you liked this chapter! I really like writing about Arthur and James, so let me know if you like more of them! Perhaps a chapter focusing on Arthur and Lily? Or all three of them? Please let me know! Anywho, ITS HOLIDAY TIME BITCHES, GRAB YOUR FUCKING DECORATIONS AND SPEND WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON PRESENTS, LETS GO!!!! WOOHOO!!!!! Thanks again!!!!