20

"It's okay thanks Matt." You smile and shake your head.

"No y/n I insist, what with all of the animal attacks going on recently." He shrugs so you nod.

"Okay, thanks." You smile as you get into the truck.

"It's no problem." He replies and pulls away from the pavement. "So how has today been, I know it's your Dads... Anniversary." His voice trailed off at the end as he spoke cautiously.

"You know you're the only one who remembered Matty, Elena, Bonnie and Caroline all forgot." You sighed as he gave you a sympathetic smile. "Maybe it's a good thing, if I forget it happened then I'll stop being sad." You shrugged as Matt shook his head.

"You'll always remember y/n, it's not something you can just forget in an instant." He replied sadly as the truck drove onto Wickery Bridge.

Suddenly a black crow swooped down in front of the truck and hit the windscreen before flying off again. It caused both of you to cry out in surprise as Matt lost control of the truck. It started to swerve on the road until it hit the barrier, the barrier gave way almost instantly making your heart drop into your stomach.

The truck lurched forwards and proceeded to fall over the edge, water surrounds the car as you begin to panic.

You're submerged by water as it rises quickly, the car doors won't open. You begin to panic and look at Matt who is passed out whilst the car sinks further. The water fills up the car, rising at a sickeningly fast pace. You look around for something to smash a window with, but can't find anything. The water inched up around your neck, finally you took one last deep breath before the water went over your head.

You moved to undo both yours and Matt's seat belts as something moved out of the corner of your eye. You turned to see a figure opening the door.

You frown as they try to grab you and you grab Matt's arm, the figure pulls you and Matt but you can't hold Matt's weight. So you swim up as they grab Matt and follow you, you finally break the surface and gasp. You gulp in giant lungful's of air and make your way to the river bank.

You crawled up until you were out of the water and lay on your back as Stefan pulls Matt up next to you. You look at him in amazement at what he'd just done.

"S-Stefan? What are yo-"

"You will forget that I was here, I didn't save you from the car. You simply opened the door and dragged both yourself and Matt to the surface." Stefan compelled you, causing a wave of nausea to ripple through your gut.

The sound of coughing disturbs you from your thoughts and you turn to see Matt waking up, you turn back and for some reason you could have sworn someone else was with you.

"W-what happened?" Matt asked with wide eyes as you hugged him.

"You lost control of the truck because some stupid crow-" You stopped for a moment and remembered the crow, stop it there's more than one crow in Mystic Falls, you thought to yourself and shook your head. "A crow flew in front of the truck and we went off the bridge. I just pulled you out of the truck and up onto the bank." You shrugged and Matt groaned.

"I'm so sorry y/n." He sighed and looked up at the darkening sky. "We better get home, I'm late and people will worry." He mumbled and you nodded before getting up slowly.

Together the two of you walked down the road, soaking wet. Each step made your shoes squelch as your jeans felt extremely uncomfortable on. Finally you made it to Matt's house that was only one street away from yours.

"I can't tell you how sorry I am y/n, it's my fault." He sighed and hugged you one last time.

"Matt don't worry, it was the birds fault." You smiled and he chuckled.

"Okay well I might see you later at the grill?" He questioned as you shrugged.

"I dunno, I kind of just want to go home and sleep." You sighed and he nodded before saying one last goodbye and walking into his house.

You walk the last few steps on your own until you're in front of your own house.

"Where have you been this time? And... Why are you soaking wet?" Your mum asked worriedly as you stepped in the door.

"I- ugh... Matt gave me a lift home, but his truck lost control on the bridge and..." Your mum gasped as you hugged her. "It's okay I got us both out, don't worry." You said as she nodded.

"I told you that boy wasn't ready to drive, I don't want you in that truck again." She spoke sternly as you nodded.

"Shouldn't be hard, I mean it's at the bottom of the river now anyway." You laughed lightly as she scowled.

"I'm serious y/n! You could have died! Not on this day...I can't loose you both." Her voice cracked as you hugged her again, rubbing soothing circles on her back.

"It's okay mum, I'm okay." You whispered and she nodded before pulling away.

"Okay, go and get dry." She told you as you nodded and headed up stairs.

After you had changed into some dry clothes, the sun was already setting and you contemplated on whether or not you should go to the grill. You wanted to be there for your mum, however you kind of wanted to not be sad for once on this day.

In the end you decide that you may as well go, maybe Matt might have reminded everyone what day it is.

"Mum I'm going to the grill with Elena and everyone." You speak whilst coming down the stairs, she nods sadly but manages a small smile.

"Okay just please be safe." You pleaded as you nodded and huffed.

"I will, bye." You smiled and walked out the door, on the way you wanted to make a quick stop.

To the cemetery

To see your dad.

Continue to (25)