Chapter 22

Every rose needs the rain sometimes

--------

My paws sprint into the woods as fast as the wind could take me. My wolf whimpered as we got further and further into the woods. Birds flew with me through the wind and squirrels ran from tree to tree to catch up with me.

My heart bleeds so much. Am I making the right decision to run away from him? What if something bad happen to him and I am not there to be with him every step of a way?

I stopped when I saw a river appeared in my sight. I shifted into my human form and quickly wore my big tee that I luckily bought at the back of a tree. I ambled as my bare foot touched the soft soil and sat at the river banks. I saw my reflection at the surface on the water, and a realization hit me like a truck.

Zac

My eyes blurred and a single tear rolled down my cheek and fell onto the soil as it absorbed my tear. I lowered my head down, and a single blew from the wind made it worse.

I sobbed harder, and the squirrels started to come at me and sat on my lap as he looked at my face. My face was a mess. I wiped my tears and patted one of the squirrels with love. He enjoyed the touch.

I looked at him sadly. Suddenly, he started to climb my arm and curled on my shoulder. I smiled faintly. With the mating process complete, I cannot be too far from Zac. Eventually, one of us will die; for the weak will surely die first. Maybe I am the weak because it hurts so much.

My weak heart

My wolf was quiet. She said nothing. She felt empty without her mate, and so do I.

I need to do something

I feared being alone again but here I was alone in the woods. All these past years I have been living alone in the woods and I was happy that I could not ask for more but not now as I have found my mate. Unfortunately for me, people changed.

I lay on my side and close my eyes slowly. All I saw was Zac. My body ached a bit from all the runnings.

I need to be strong.

Losing half of yourself surely hurt. This was what it felt like. If crying were a sin, I would be the sinner. I curled myself near the river bank and soon enough the darkness consumed me.

-----------------

I woke up late at night to the sound of an owl hooting through the quietness of the woods. I had fallen into a deep slumber. I got up and stretched my body. My body felt a lot better than what it was. Suddenly, my stomach grumbled.

I was hungry. I walked to the river and rinsed my face and hair to lighten myself. I went for a hunt. My favorite activity for when I used to live in the woods.

I sniffed the air and caught the scent of a deer. I followed the scent and finally I reached her. I quietly observed the deer behind a tree. The deer cannot sense danger because I hid my scent. I prepared myself. I quickly launched at the deer.

The deer was on my hands, all I need to do was to eat the deer but I did not have the appetite. After a while, I released the deer back into the woods. I wandered slowly around the woods and sat on the fallen trunk sighing.

" You okay there Ara?"

" I'm fine Hagwood."
I said as I sighed again.

" You know, you don't have to tell me as I have already known about it."
Hagwood said to me while lifting me up using his small branches and sat me on his another branches. I leaned on the trunk and looked up to the sky.

" I don't know what I should do."
I stated with my shaky voice.

"Someday you will."
He said slowly.

"Hey Hagwood?"
I asked shortly.

"Yeah?"

" Can I sleep here tonight?"
I asked him with a very hopeful thought.

"Sure you can."

That was a surprise as Hagwood hates when one's got close to him. As usual, using my power I made myself my nature bed. I rarely used my power when I was in the pack house.

I was wide awake at midnight because I slept the whole day. Looked like my sleep routine were reversed. It will be hard to change it back to normal. I looked at the sky. There were a lot of stars on the sky. They shine brightly as they do not know what the meaning of life.

----------------

It's been exactly 7 days when I left Zac. My routine was the same as I used to live in the woods. The only different thing was, I stayed at one place not moving to another.

I have lost my weight a lot. I just lost my appetite. I really looked skinny. I wanted to see Zac but did not have the courage to do it. I walked along the river to get fresh air. The scenery was amazing, but it will be more meaningful when your loved ones are here with you.

Suddenly, my heart clenched and I cannot breathe. I fall to the ground. My nails were digging the soil. I curled and tried to breathe but failed. I gasped for air. What was happening? I did not think it was the heat.

I just had my heat, so this was something else. I clawed the soil roughly as the pain ripped through my body.

Kiara, you have been too long without your mate. It started to take an effect on you. It usually happened simultaneously with your mate.

Lynn said to me. Oh no, it was the side effect of being away from your mate. So Zac was feeling the same way as I did? I caught my breath when the pain slowed down.

I screamed when my heart tightened. My heart throb slowly. Every throb was very painful. Cold sweat ran down from my forehead.

We need mate!
Lynn spoke in my mind again.

Fuck saying that didn't help Lynn. He doesn't want us!
I snapped at her. I ran my fingers through my hair and gripped it tightly when the pain came. I groaned in pain. It was twice the pain when you were in heat. I was breathless. How do I stop this pain?

My body temperature rose drastically.

Jump into the water and soak your body, it will help you with your body temperature. Lynn said to me.

I hurriedly crawled to the water and soaked my body. When the pain came again, I held my breath and soaked my entire body. My body temperature was lesser now than before.

After 15 minutes of struggling, the pain finally went away. I got out of the water. It was horrific. Handling this alone was scarier. I lay weakly at the river bank. My hair was dirty because of the soil mixed with the water. I did not get the time to dry myself. It exhausted me.

My eyes were dull. I need to rest. I cannot use my power in this state. With the weight lost, my body barely survived the pain. I need to sleep. Before I fell asleep as I heard Lynn said at the back of my mind.

The pain will come again even more often until you eventually die along with your mate.

----------------

I hope you can help me by voting and commenting this chapter. Thank you so much for taking your time reading this book.

Love, Elle