「23」

I woke up with a quiet beeping. Where am I? I saw a face peering over at me. "Are you feeling okay?" She asked, giving me a thumbs up.

I returned it. I just felt a little light-headed, and the shot on my lower back was painful. Besides that, I felt perfectly fine. "Do you feel like you can take visitors?" The nurse asked, walking over to me.

Nodding, I tried to sit up. But with that pain in my back, there was no way. I lied back down. Why? What did I even do... I looked at my wrist again. That's why. The black band.

Suddenly, the door burst open. There stood a boy with the brown fringe and beautiful hazel eyes. But he had changed. There was red creeping up on the sides of his eyes. His hair was disheveled, like he had been pulled through a thorn thicket backwards. "Dan... are you okay?"

He just stared at me like I was crazy. "Me? I'm perfectly fine! What about you?" His voice was sharp, laced with fear.

I sighed. "I'm fine... The doctor said the bullet missed the vital organs, which is great, because I would be dead by now if it hit my stomach or something. Just my back kinda hurts," I responded.

"Who shot you?" Dan asked, taking a seat next to my hospital bed.

"My... my mum."