The Things You Do

"Honey, I'm back." Jai called softly, closing the apartment door behind him.

He had dropped in around four hours earlier, asking her to watch Denzi for the evening. Apparently he had a hot date and hadn't thought ahead, when it came to getting a sitter. Of course she had agreed, how could she not? She loved spending time with the adorable little boy, he was so full of energy and always did the cutest things.

"Jai?" she yawned, stretching her hands over her head. "Why are you here?" she rubbed her eyes and sat up on the couch. She had laid down, watching a movie before bed, a half empty bowl of popcorn on the floor.

"My son is here." Jai replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Picking up the popcorn, he shoved a handful in his mouth. She was willing to bet that he had been blown off, which is what brought him here.

Flopping down on the couch next to her, he kicked his feet up on the coffee table next to hers, and rubbed his eyes. Following it with a yawn, he closed his eyes and laid his head back.

"Is this the movie with that Harry Potter kid in it?" he asked, listening to the movie that she had been watching. She had made him watch it enough that he knew by the sound, or at least he was confident he knew the movie by sound.

"What If? yes it is." she informed him, turning the volume down a little bit. "Aren't you supposed to be at home, making some poor girl scream your name until she contracts laryngitis?"

Wrinkling his nose, Jai opened one eye to look at her. She smiled sweetly, batting her eye lashes at him. Sometimes he truly wondered about this woman.

"I told you earlier, babe, I didn't plan on having sex with her." Jai answered, stifling another yawn. "So, you think I'm that good, I can give a chick laryngitis?" he chuckled.

"How would I know? Just an educated guess." she passed it off. The idea of actually engaging in the act of sex with Jai Courtney made her want to vomit. He was her best friend, a brother, yuck!

Jai laughed again. "Who said men and women can't be friends, without fucking?"

"You're so charming." she accused, elbowing him in the side. "But seriously, Jai, what gives?"

He was never one to just drop a girl off at her place and then come home early, if you could call 10PM early? For some, she supposed this time of night was certainly far too early to end a date. How was she to know? She hadn't had a date in ages. Casual sex, with Jai's co-star wasn't exactly a date even if drinks before hand had been involved.

"The date was over, I took her home and decided that I had two options. I could go home, alone and be bored." he smiled. "Or I could come here and pester you."

Waving her hands lazily in the air, she pretended to cheer. "Wahoo! Yay me!"

"Admit it, you love it when I am here." Jai smiled a little, leaning into her.

Jai knew her well enough, she couldn't lie her way around that. She did love having him around. Without him, her life would be boring and dull. His wouldn't be much more exciting, had she not found her way into it.

"What's her name, anyway?" she asked, leaning over and resting her head on his arm. Half paying attention to the movie, she glanced up at him. He must really like this girl, he had been kind enough to trim his beard for her.

"Her name is Meredith, she is twenty seven, and she is a veterinarian." Jai explained. He may as well lay out the details, she would only ask for them in the next sentence she spoke.

"Cute, she spends her days helping kitties and puppies." that sounded way more sarcastic than she had intended.

"Actually, she spends her days drenching sheep and castrating cattle." Jai mused. "She's a large animal vet."