And So It Goes

"Honey, can you hand me that?" Jai pointed to the lighter sitting on the railing of the deck.

Picking up the bright green lighter and handing it over, she lifted her shoulders, allowing them to drop out of a small stretch. She had to hand it to her mother; Cora knew how to get the word around. Jai's house had people ringing the door bell for the last several hours, coming to the door to say "Hello" and to meet the new neighbour.

Nobody had ever got this kind of treatment, when moving into the neighbourhood. A few older ladies had dropped by, leaving behind a casserole dish or some dessert or another. One or two housewives had stopped in, telling the handsome single father that if he ever needed anything to call. Even a couple of the husbands had ventured over, probably sent by their busy wives. Although one or two were most likely drawn in by the old Harley sitting in the drive way.

Some of them she knew, much to their surprise when the familiar face opened the door. Mrs. Latimer had almost fell over, when she had opened the door. Excitedly the older lady gushed about how lovely it was to see her, had she known that Cora's girl had gotten married, then she would have bought a gift.

Jai took it all in stride, thanking them and sending them on their way.

She wanted to laugh, knowing full well that each one of these people had been fed a different story about the Australian and his son. Cora had told three of the biggest gossips on the street a different tale, waiting to see which one would grow the quickest.

Her mother needed a new hobby.

"This is nice." She commented, glancing around at the friends who had gathered to help celebrate Jai's new home with him. She knew most of them and others she had met earlier in the evening.

"It is." Jai agreed, lighting his cigarette.

Nicer than the last time she had shown up.

Jai had apologized in the only way he knew how - two dozen roses, a mixture of pink and yellow. If he said he was sorry, admitted his wrong doing, then she would brush it off. If he sent the gift, enough was said without having to speak.

"Did your folks get back to Sydney, okay?" She needed to keep the chatter going.

Confirming that his parents were safe, back in their own home, he cleared his throat and straightened his posture. Watching his movement, she braced herself for whatever he was about to say. "Mum was happy that the two of you got out."

"I like hanging out with your mom. She's a lot of fun."

Jai had heard about their fun. The pair didn't get to see one another often, but when they did, they made it last. An afternoon coffee date saw his mother sneaking back into the house some time around 1AM.

Whatever they had gotten into, he didn't want to know. Whatever they had talked about, had been enough to give him some heavy questions the following day.

"I told my mum about us." Jai blew out a large puff of smoke.

Jai held his breath, waiting for her reaction. Why had he opened his big mouth?

Sucking in a breath of cool night air, she slowly exhaled allowing her thoughts to collect.

It was bound to happen at some point.

"And?" Her nerves were seconds away from being shot. "Did you tell that you're...you...what you said to me about being in love?"

Jai shook his head. There was no need to go around telling people that, not yet. He was a fool, if he told people that he was in love with a woman who refused to even talk about her feelings.