Nothing Will Change

"Honey, there you are." Jai greeted her with a wide smile and a hug.

He looked like a man straight out of the pages of GQ in his black skinny style slacks and crisp blue button down. He had gone the extra mile and styled his hair, the usual crazy curls were straight and slicked back, his face clean and void of the usual 5 O'Clock shadow.

"Thought you'd forgot about dinner."

"How could I forget?" She asked, startling a little when he helped her pull off her knee length peacoat.

Such a gentleman, obviously Jai was up to something. She was paying too much attention to the way the pants were hugging all the right places to really care.

"You and my mother have been texting and calling me all day." She smiled sweetly, picking up her purse and fishing out a bottle of Scotch. "As you requested."

"Perfect." Jai kissed her cheek, much to his surprise she didn't fight it. "Did you come straight from work?"

Her well fitted knee length red dress, with the capped sleeves and gold belt, made it hard for Jai to decide if she had been working late, or had actually wanted to try and kill him based on looks.

"Yep." She nodded, placing her purse in the coat closet, she stepped out in front of him.

Giving him a nice, long look. A few glasses of wine and she may consider seeing how his pants looked on the floor. What the hell was wrong with her? She was supposed to be mad at him, still.

"So..."

"So?" Jai echoed. Leaning in closer, he wrapped his arm around her waist, giving her a gentle squeeze. "Are you okay with this? I mean, your mum's..."

"Boyfriend? Yes." She confirmed with a heavy breath, allowing her body to let go of any anxiety. "I told her that I would have dinner and I'm as ready as I will ever be. Thank you, by the way, for having us here."

She didn't have to say it, but Jai knew she was happy to be in his home and not in a public restaurant trying to do this. When Cora had called him and asked him to do this, Jai had to help. It worked in his favour, making the entire evening look like his idea.

She had hardly spoke to him, since she had picked him up at the airport. Denzi had called her Christmas Day and that had been the only time Jai heard from her, while he was way.

Despite his 20 text messages a day, piled in with the 20 he would send Cora to make sure they had gone through. Jai had been looking for a way to apologize to her, something more than words. Dinner was the perfect way to show her that he was on her side.

No matter how much she has wanted to freeze him out, she needed his help with this. His parents being in town worked perfectly, in the event he could pass this off as old friends and new coming together to celebrate health and happiness in his new home.

The actual moving into a new house, crazy party, was next weekend. Cora had already volunteered to babysit Denzi for that night. Half of the neighbourhood knew about Jai, or rather variations of stories they had seemed to come up with about the young father. Her personal favourite was hearing about the young widower and his son.

"Any time, love. I'm glad tonight worked for everybody." Jai smiled, finally moving from the entrance way.

Quietly she followed him into the kitchen, thankful to have ditched her heels at the door. Her shoes were pretty, but not worth the added pain. Watching Jai walk made her giggle, wondering how his ass and thighs didn't pop out of his pants.

She had been in this house many times, knew every inch of it, but tonight it felt like a place she had never been before. Familiar people, in a familiar place, and yet it was all so strange.