Down the Rabbit Hole

"Honey?" Jai knocked loudly on her door. He should have called to tell her they were coming over. He didn't have his key and he didn't want to interrupt her if she was busy.

"Oney!" Denzi yelled, beating the palm of his hand on the door. "Ooo! Ooo!"

Jai laughed at his son's persistence, if she was around and opening the door for anybody it would be Denzi. After Denzi's third bang on the door, Jai gently placed his hand over Denzi's and shook his head. Huffing, Denzi stood clutching his candy pail.

On the other side of the door, Jai could hear someone shuffling around. A quick click told him the door was being unlocked, as it slowly opened enough to see light on the other side.

"Magic words, please." Her voice carried out into the hall. She had barely finished getting dressed after her shower, when she had heard the knocks at the door. Her first trick or treater, likely her only, of the night.

"It's Denzi!" Denzi happily replied with a giggle and a wide smile.

Jai laughed, he had been over this several times with his son in the last two hours. A surprising amount of people had asked the little boy for the "password" or "what do you say?" and each time Denzi would adorably come up with something for them, however he was struggling to remember the Trick or Treat bit.

"You may enter!" She exclaimed swinging the door open to reveal the father and son on the other side.

"Tick a Teat!" Denzi cheered holding out a small pumpkin shape bucket.

"Wow! Look at you." She smiled, dropping a handful of random candy bits into the pail. "And look at you!" She snorted, covering her mouth to hide her laughter, not doing a very good job.

"What? Do you not like our costumes?" Jai placed his hands in front of him, bouncing up and down a little on his tip toes.

"No, I um...I love it." She snorted again, holding the door open for the mini magician and over sized white rabbit to come inside. "You both look very...you look...Has your mother saw this?"

"We tried our best to take a selfie, but it didn't really capture the whole essence." Jai shrugged, shuffling into the apartment. His over sized rabbit feet were making it a bitch to walk.

Jai was suddenly thankful for all of the drunken nights he had climbed the stairs in this apartment building. They were coming in mighty handy right now.

"I can help." She laughed, grabbing her phone. Instructing Denzi to get in with his father, the little boy laughed in pure joy when Jai grabbed him and swung him up onto his shoulders. The ceiling just tall enough for the little boy to fit with his top hat on.

Back on the ground, Denzi tugged at her hand, eagerly wanting to tell his god-mother all about his evening. Listening intently, she asked all the right questions and made all the right comments, when needed. The over excited and slightly sugared three year old was almost vibrating from everything going on.

His hands would wave wildly and throw up in the air, when he tried to explain things. His blue eyes wide and his expression was pure wonderment and disbelief. Jai took this as his chance to shed some of his costume, it was boiling inside his suit. Next year, he was taking a more breathable costume.

"They gave you stickers and tattoos?" Her voice was slightly raised in amazement, catching Jai's attention. She looked happier than he had saw her in a while. Happier or drunk? Jai would figure that out later. "That is a good Halloween treat."

"My da," he tugged her arm, trying to wrangle in the overwhelming happiness, "my da he has taddoos too!"

"Your dad has tattoos, too? Aww, well that was nice of them to give him some." She cooed to the little boy.