Shown My Cards

"Honey, babe, I know you wanted some space but I think we need to talk." Had been his excuse to get her here. Sitting at his kitchen table, she folded her hands in front of her waiting for Jai to get his shit together, sit down and talk.

"What are you doing?" She asked turning to face him on the other side of the counter top.

"Finishing dinner. You're okay with coconut curry and quinoa?" Jai asked not caring what she said. He'd made dinner, she would either eat it or leave it sitting at the table.

"I'd be happier, if you sat down and told me what you had to say." She narrowed her gaze at him.

"Have some wine." Jai instructed, gesturing to the bottle of red wine on the table. "It's some sort of Barbera or something, no idea. Bloke at the store said it'd be nice with the curry."

He was killing her!

"Where's Denz?"

She wished he were there. Denzi not being at home meant Jai had put thought and planning into this. It also meant that he was expecting her to lose it when he got around to talking with her.

They had fought in front of Denzi once and Jai would make sure it never happened again.

"Miles came by this morning, wanting to take him for the day." Jai didn't seem too bothered by the event. "No idea why, some times it is safer not to keep tabs."

"I didn't know he was in town." She stopped studying the bottle of wine on the table. Damn her inability to refuse a good wine.

"It's Miles, like I said, it's easier on your head if you don't try to keep tabs on what he's doing." Jai chuckled, grabbing some bowls from an over head cupboard.

Jai was a bit of a stickler when it came to Denzi, he always had to check in and know what was going on with his son. As cool as he was playing it right now, she knew that he had called Miles at least 30 times since the other man had left. If Miles didn't answer, then Jai would have hung up only to text instead.

"Whatever he is up to, I am sure Denzi is having a hell of a time." She shrugged, pouring herself a glass of wine, finally. It had taken her long enough. "We should see if he wants to hang out, I haven't seen Teller in forever."

"I'll mention it." Jai kept his eyes on his task at hand, a smirk crossing his features. "Maybe I should ask him to be Denzi's god-father, you know he doesn't have one."

"Please don't." She rolled her eyes. "Miles is great, but if anything happens to you I can't be responsible for raising a little boy and Denzi."

Taking a sip of the wine, she furrowed her brow. Not bad. Shifting in her seat, she tried to loosen up a little. So far no luck.

Being awkward around Jai almost never happened to her. Even his attempts to make jokes weren't helping. Under most circumstances a cheap shot at Miles would have the two of them laughing and chattering like two over excited hyenas.

She wasn't a fan of this tell each other how you feel thing. They'd had conversations before where feelings and emotions came up, but Jai had never told her that he was in love with her before. Putting feelings like that into things always complicated friendships and made things awkward.

"You look nice, by the way." Jai complimented.

"This is what happens, when I actually go to work."

Lies. Her black striped blouse and white skinny jeans weren't even remotely close to the bright pink dress she'd worn to work. At least with her dress, she had wore underwear. This was her mother's fault! Cora was adamant about never wearing underwear in white pants.