Beachin'

"Honey, can you grab that bag?" Jai asked pointing to the blue beach bag in the back seat.

He had Denzi in one arm, a bag around the same shoulder, and a small cooler was grasped in his other hand. She had offered to take something, but Jai had it all under control. His eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, nestled under a silly looking straw hat, he turned to address her asking for her to lock the car.

A day at the beach had been a long time coming, they hadn't been to the beach since they'd been in Sydney. On the afternoon, before flying back to LA they'd piled into the car, along with Jai's parents and drove to the nearest beach. Denzi had screamed and cried the entire time, cutting the fun short. Today he seemed to be fairing better. A tad grumpy at the moment, having just woke from a nap in the car, but over all happier.

Leaning his head back to see out from under his hat, Denzi's frown was almost laughable. He was the only child she knew who could be facing a day of fun, sun, sand, and the ocean and not be impressed. Jai had found a toddler wet suit, the bright orange and blue material was printed with fish and looked absolutely adorable on the little boy. His expression did not match the bright suit.

"Ready?" she asked, shouldering Jai's beach bag on one arm and her own on the other.

"I think so." Jai smiled. "What about you, Denzi? Are you ready to go to the beach?"

"No." Denzi shook his head and rubbed his eyes. "Da, I tied." he mumbled, resting his head on Jai's shoulder.

"Oh, Denz." Jai rolled his eyes and began forward, the march to the sand and sea. "Once we get down there, you're going to have a blast."

"No!" Denzi protested angrily. "No, I not sim!"

"Then don't swim." Jai replied stopping after a few feet to wait for her to catch up. "Sit on the sand. Build a castle. I don't care, but we're here and we're not going home yet."

Annoyed with his father's answer, Denzi huffed and laid his head back on Jai's shoulder. Determined not to let his child rule the day, Jai trudged forward onto the slightly crowded beach.

Scouting out a spot toward the end of the wide sandy stretch, she followed Jai's confident stride to the end. Setting the bags down, she scooped Denzi from his father's arms, making it easier for Jai to maneuver everything he was carrying.

Blankets and towels laid out, the trio didn't take too long to get situated in the sand. The California day was being generous, allowing them a light breeze every now and then to cool them from the sun.

"I should have found an umbrella." Jai grumbled, adjusting his hat.

"We'll be fine." She assured him, taking the time to rub sunscreen onto Denzi's cheeks. The little boy was less than impressed with the actions, but had no real desire to fight it. "All done." she announced, tapping her finger to the end of Denzi's nose and smiling.

"Here ya go, little mate." Jai held out a pail and a small shovel. "Why don't you go play in the sand?"

Denzi huffed and took the blue pail and yellow shovel. Plopping down a few feet from the edge of the beach blanket, he sat on the sand. He had a scowl and clearly no intentions of playing, like his father had wanted him to.

Jai shook his head, whatever. If Denzi wanted to sit in the sand and be grumpy, it was his choice.

"Screen me." She held the sunscreen up, waving it in Jai's face.

Snatching the sunscreen from her hands, Jai turned around to face her back. She had pulled off her tshirt, exposing her favourite billabong bikini top. It had once been florescent orange, faded to a duller shade from all the use. Jai had never saw her wear another swim suit, ever.