I'm a Walking Travesty

"Honey, do you know where the joey hid his wetsuit?" Jai called into the hall, as she passed by Denzi's room.

Still in his phase of hating swimming, Denzi was know for hiding his trunks, wetsuit, and water shoes in various places around the house. Placing the laundry basket on the floor, she scratched the back of her head and shrugged.

"Have you checked the garage or under his bed?"

Denzi was getting excessively clever on his hiding spots. While she had been in charge, during Jai's absence, she'd found a pair of water shoes in a kitchen cupboard and a life jacket stashed behind the couch in the basement.

"Not under the bed, I'll check the garage later." Jai rolled his eyes, folding a tshirt and shoving it into the suitcase.

"Well, I'm sure you'll find it before we leave." She offered a ghost of a smile. Bending to pick up the laundry basket, her own suitcase was waiting in the spare room, she paused when Jai stopped her.

"So, um, I uh...I've been meaning to ask." He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Yes?" She placed a hand on her hip, the other holding the basket to her body.

"Are you still going to Boston?" Jai asked, barely glancing up from putting Denzi's clothes in the Spider-Man suitcase.

"I am, for a little while." She replied, lingering in the door of Denzi's room. "I'll be back in a week, it was all I could spare from the office."

"A week isn't bad, it'll be good to get away. Can you hand me that jacket?" Jai motioned to the blue rain coat on Denzi's door rack. Picking up the slick coat, she handed it over, taking a step back. "Kids, they require so much shit."

"It's because you over pack, Denzi doesn't need half of that." She pointed out with a slight smirk. "Move over, let me pack for him."

"If you can do it better, please, be my guest." Jai held his hands up in surrender, backing away from the suitcase on the bed.

Clothes basket on the floor of Denzi's room, she crossed in front of Jai, pulling the suitcase off of the bed and sitting cross legged in front of it.

"Okay, let me see." Rubbing her hands together, she began pulling out items.

When she had packed for Adelaide, everything had gone into one large suitcase. A week and a couple of days allowed for lighter packing, the two and a half week father - son trip was a little more extensive, but similar rules applied.

Anything small or trivial was left at home, with the intentions if it was needed later, it could be bought. Anchorage wasn't Adelaide, but she was certain they would have toothpaste and sun block, if Jai ran out of either.

Clothing rules were still the same - two sweaters, a good versatile jacket, one pair of sneakers, one pair of boots, the rest to be packed accordingly.

Emptying Denzi's suitcase, she laughed at some of the items Jai had in there. When would Denzi need a full snow suit? Better yet, where had Jai found a full snow suit? The four pairs of shoes were also not needed, nor were the six stuffed animals.

Tunks was the only animal needed to make the trip, the slightly worn elephant would go in Jai's carry on, in case a quick access was needed.

"Boomer, in what part of Wilderness Adventure Holiday, will Denzi need three pairs of dress pants. When do you plan on him wearing the loafers?"

"I don't know." Jai shrugged, sitting on the edge of Denzi's bed.

"Men, you're hopeless." She laughed, pulling out the dress pants and small loafers, which matched Jai's perfectly.