No Place Like Home

"Honey, there you are." Jai sighed, an exasperated look on his face.

"Here I am!" She waved her hands in the air and rolled her eyes. "What's up?"

"I've tried to call you four times. Why didn't you answer?" Jai frowned.

"My phone is dead, it's shut down and charging. I'm sorry." She shrugged. "Is there something you needed?"

"Uh, yes." Jai nodded. It was his turn to roll his eyes. "I needed to know that you and my son were safe."

"So, I guess you don't want to hear about our morning on Skid Row or how we fought monster dragons all afternoon?" She piped up, smiling sweetly at the man on the other side of the screen.

"Fuck off." Jai muttered, flipping his middle finger in front of his phone. "I'm his father, I'm allowed to be worried."

"Jai, he's fine." She insisted with a calm smile. "If anything bad happened, I would have got in touch with you right away."

Jai knew her words to be true, telling her so, he still worried. This was his first time away from Denzi. She was his god-mother, a legal guardian, and his son would be perfectly find with her - but he worried damn it.

Three days ago, Jai had flown across the country to New York. He had been asked to fly out for an audition and was pretty optimistic that he'd get the gig. The hard part was taking Denzi. Jai would have loved to have taken the little boy, but if he did well in the audition like they were expecting, then he was going right into a bunch of screen tests and a million other things they wanted from him.

Not to mention, since he was in town and the premiere of his latest film was growing close, this was the perfect time to book some interviews.

Living in a car, only being in a hotel for 3 hour tops to sleep and go again was not a good trip for a child. Jai could have taken her with them, but this trip was much easier to go solo.

Now, on the east coast, he sat in his hotel room readying for a few hours of sleep before he was awake and at it again. On the west coast, she had just fed Denzi dinner and was letting him play for a little while, before his bath and bed.

"You're going soft, booms." She giggled, glancing up from her iPad to check on Denzi. Sprawled out on the floor of her apartment, he had a collection of toys and was happily driving a big plastic truck over an action figure.

Leaning closer, she squinted and laughed. The action figure Denzi was beating over with the bright green truck was a Captain Boomerang figurine that somebody had gifted to Jai, on his behalf of playing the character.

"Can you see this?" She asked turning the iPad around so the camera faced the little boy. Lost in his own little world, the child didn't even bother to pay attention to what she was doing.

"Denzi!" Jai groaned, causing his son to turn in search of his father's voice. "What ya doing, mate? Be nice to poor old Boomer."

"Da!" Denzi shouted and shot up from his spot on the floor. Rushing toward the electronic, he reached up making grabby hands. "I tan see you!"

"Yeah, I can see you too, Denz." Jai chuckled from the other side of the screen.

"Why don't you come up here, we can talk to your dad." She smiled and patted the spot next to her on the couch.

Denzi didn't take long to climb up onto the couch, settling for a seat on her lap, he made himself comfortable. Resting his head back against her, the little boy smiled and waved happily at his father's face.