Crash

"Honey, I'm sorry I called." Jai sat up in the hospital bed. He had called her, desperate and terrified, refusing any treatment until he had her on the phone. By some miracle his phone had made it out better than he did. "I had to."

"It's okay, Jai." She forced a sympathetic smile and squeezed his hand. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Jai tried to clear his throat and winced. He felt like he had been hit by a truck, which wasn't too far off.

"The dumb version?" Jai asked, wincing as he tried to get comfortable in the bed. "Broken rib, busted leg, and possible concussion."

"Fuck." She muttered, rubbing his arm and pouting. "And it was an accident?"

When she had arrived at the hospital, the doctor that she had spoke with had told her to ask Jai simple questions. Things he'd know like his name, his son's name, simple details about his accident, and the likes. It would help if he was in fact suffering from a concussion.

Jai nodded, his head feeling like it was filled with rocks. "I went to turn, I had the fucking right of way. I was in the middle of the turn and this asshole hit me." he grumbled something about his poor bike being an absolute mess, which caused her a small smirk.

"Denzi wasn't with you?" Dan asked, keeping up the simple questions.

"Fuck no. I don't take him on that damn thing. God, had he been with me..." Jai felt his body shudder.

His son was a typical boy, fascinated by cars, motorbikes, and anything with an engine. Jai loved being able to share that, but there would be no way in hell he was ever letting his son on a motorbike, not until Denzi was at least thirty.

"But he wasn't. He's safe at home, with Alexis." She ran her hand over his hair. "Do you want me to go and get him? I can take him while you're in here."

"Doc says I am only here for a day, maybe two." Jai sighed, rubbing his hand against his beard. An IV line was hooked into his hand, which kept getting into his way. "Do you mind taking him?"

"Not at all." She smiled, letting go of his hand and pulling out her phone. She would make the needed phone calls, to let people know what was happening.

Jai closed his eyes and nodded, slowly. He wanted to sleep, but the doctor had told him it wasn't possible, not yet. His head throbbed and his body ached. Whoever the dick was in the red suv, Jai wanted to strangle them.

"Do you need anything?" She questioned, pausing from the task of sending her mother a text.

"Something for this damn headache." Jai groaned and rubbed his temples. "Nurse said something about a CT scan."

Sending her mother a quick text to tell her Jai had been in an accident, she tucked her phone away and focused her attention back on the patient. "Do you want me to go find the nurse?"

"Can you?" Jai asked between slightly gritted teeth. His head felt like it was caught in a vice grip.

"I'll find his nurse." Dan offered, pushing off of the wall he was leaning on. "You go call whoever you need to."

Outside of Jai's door, she quickly called Alexis to tell her that either she or Dan would be along in about an hour to stay with Denzi. Quickly converting the time difference between Sydney and Los Angeles, she made the final decision to call Jai's parents. It was a little after 11 AM there on a Saturday morning.

Her heart broke when she had to tell Karen that Jai had been in an accident. Hearing the gasping mother on the other end was devastating. Repeatedly, Karen had asked if her son was okay? Each time she had assured the other woman that Jai would be fine, a day or two in hospital and he'd be as good as new.