One Small Step

"Honey, thank you for coming with us." Jai kissed her cheek, smiling proudly.

"No problem, Booms. I'm always glad to be here for you." She returned the smile and the kiss. She really had no other choice. Spending the night at Jai's gave way to Denzi begging her to come along.

This day had been coming and suddenly here they were, dropping Denzi off at his first day of preschool. Play group had been a great building block, but this was preschool. Three days a week, Jai would be dropping Denzi off and leaving him for three hours. Three hours in the care of someone else, three hours where he would learn and play. Three hours wasn't long, but today it would feel like an eternity.

"Tank you, Ooo!" Denzi cheered from where he stood between her and Jai. Holding each of their hands, he marched toward the white brick building.

He had been to the school with Jai the previous morning, getting acquainted. The first day the parent was asked to stay, the second day, Denzi was on his own.

"You are very welcome." She bent slightly, smiling and kissing the top of his head. "Are you going to have fun, today?"

"Yeah!" Denzi cheered wiggling around.

"And you're going to stay, by yourself, right." Jai opened the door, letting go of Denzi's hand in order to hold the door.

"Otay." Denzi whispered stepping into the lobby, his grip on her hand now tighter than before.

Last night at dinner, he had told her all about his day at preschool. He told her about the other kids, his teacher; Miss Lundell. Denzi had laughed hysterically, when he told her about Jai almost breaking the little chair when he had sat on it.

Yesterday had been exciting and new, something that Denzi had been looking forward to. Today had potential to be as exciting, if they could get him to stay. Inside she could feel a small pit of doubt starting to brew, Denzi had been bouncing around all morning asking when he got to go to school.

The enthusiasm had died when Jai reminded him that today, he was on his own.

"Good Morning." A younger, exceptionally pretty brunette greeted her just inside the door. Standing from her desk, she extended her hand. "Here to drop someone off?"

"Yes," She nodded, shaking the other woman's hand. Good grief, this woman looked like she should be in high school. "Denzi Courtney. He just started yesterday."

Turning to see Jai scoop Denzi up, having a little chat before joining her, a frown crossed her face. Denzi looked upset and Jai looked rather concerned.

"Mrs. Courtney?" The young woman by the desk asked.

"Me? No. I'm Denzi's guardian, just a family friend." She replied quickly.

"Is Mrs. Courtney available to meet, then?" The young lady's doe eyes landed on Jai.

"There is no Mrs. Courtney, actually." Jai clarified.

"Oh, okay. Good to know." A smile curled the corner of her lips. "Well, we look forward to having Denzi and yourself with us here. Please," she extended her hand to Jai, "you can call me Julie."

Resisting the urge to gag at how this professional was melting over Jai, she shifted around trying to think of something less pathetic.

"Anything that the two of you need, please feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to help you and your son." Julie's voice was suddenly grating her nerves.

Go back to high school and let the adults talk. Biting her words, she pursed her lips, no doubt placing a rather sour look on her face.

"Uh, yeah sure. Thanks." Jai flashed a smile in Julie's direction. "Yesterday, I was told there were some paper for me to fill out. Emergency contacts and all that. Should I do this now?"