Imagine #22: Elijah

Imagine helping Elijah update his phone

She tried not to look at Elijah as she sat reading his diary with his permission of course, she was only about 100 years in but already Elijah's life was like a bad soap opera. She was looking for clues as to who the newest threat to New Orleans could be, all they knew so far was that it was a woman from Elijah's past, so they'd all taken a volume of his diary and were each trying to find a match. Elijah gave her a look as she accidentally let out a chuckle at Elijah's description of Klaus on one page.

"Something amusing?" He asked, a miniscule smile on his face.

She didn't bother replying just gave him a wider smile in return and went back to reading about Klaus's exploitations for power. It was interesting to see Elijah's thoughts on what had happened, she was already seeing a pattern in his behaviour despite trying not to psychoanalyse the only original who had really been all that nice to her. He always started with the full hearted hope that Klaus had good intentions, progressed into believing he could fix things, then came the doubt as everything was destroyed or he lost something important to him and then he would start to give up things he treasured for Klaus's happiness and the whole thing would repeat itself. She couldn't help the small frown that had settled on her face as she realized he was still doing it all over again now.

A loud buzzing noise disrupted the silence of the household. Elijah looked up from his book, scanning for the source of the noise. He stood up walking across the room to pick up and answer his phone. She didn't really hear his conversation, something about Hayley taking a break to go out to the Bayou and visit her family for a day or two. She'd been doing that a lot lately and she wouldn't be surprised if she moved there for a while before the baby came, she wondered what would happen to her if Hayley did leave, she was only here to keep an eye on her. He hung up going back to his chair before she interrupted him.

"Why?" She said picking up his phone. "How old is this thing seriously?" She laughed, it was the sort of phone you could only acceptably own if you were either a drug dealer or an old lady. Granted, Elijah was far older than most people but he didn't look it and he needed to adjust to modern technology if he was going to live forever.

"Ten maybe fifteen years." Elijah said knowing full well that she would find that unacceptable.

"You've got to be kidding. How has it not been smashed, I mean just last yesterday you were thrown out a three story window?" She muttered, flipping the phone open and shut in disgust. Every other vampire she knew had the newest phone possible, even Klaus and Rebekah had decent ones.

Elijah simply watched her in amusement as she began flicking through the phone and sighing obviously exasperated. It was so old.

"This thing doesn't have contacts? Please tell me you haven't been memorising numbers all this time." She said in complete horror, this was so unnecessary.

"What's wrong with that?" He asked, his smile diminished slightly but still present.

"No. Just no. This is ridiculous. I am getting you a decent phone and you are going to learn how to use it." She said, pulling out her own phone to call Hayley and ask her to pick one up on her way over. She'd have to drop by a store anyway since she would be taking food out to her family.

-

"Here's the phone." Hayley said handing her the box. "Don't worry I got the warranty that covers accidents. Figure it'll end up smashed to pieces pretty soon." She said giving Elijah a look as he sat in the corner still reading, trying to avoid a lesson on his new phone, before she left.

It wasn't that he didn't want to learn, it's just that when you're a thousand years old it's not exactly fun to have to be taught something that millennials knew before they could talk properly. It didn't help that his new phone had every feature either, couldn't they have picked something a little less advanced?

"I don't see why I need such an advanced phone." He said, turning it over in his hands. He wasn't even entirely sure which button turned it on. He handed the phone back, into her outstretched palm.

"If Klaus has one you should too." She tried hoping that he'd see that it wasn't hard to use. She unlocked it and did the basic set up for him figuring things would progress much quicker that way. "Now since I'm such a lovely girl I'm going to transfer your contacts for you since it has to be done manually." She said glaring at the old phone jokingly.

It took her about fifteen minutes to figure out which number was which and put them in as contacts on Elijah's new phone. Naturally she didn't do it all that seriously, putting everyone in under a stupid nickname, including Klaus as Santa Klaus, something she hoped he'd never see or she'd probably find herself up against a wall with a hand around her neck. After all she was only here by his request, i.e. He kidnapped her to babysit his baby momma.

Contacts

Santa Klaus (Niklaus)

Barbie (Rebekah)

Mar-cellulite (Marcel)

Witch Bitch (Davina)

Baby Momma (Hayley)

Sophie Dever-hoe (Sophie)

She paused when she came to her own contact. She grinned, deciding to do something completely irritating with what she put herself in as. She hoped Elijah wouldn't mind her defacing all his contacts, he needed more humour in his life was all, she should know she'd just read 100 years of his diary and he had yet to have more than a moment of happiness each twenty or thirty years, it was ridiculous. She finished her own contact and put in Cami as the last one she had yet to do.

"There. Now are you ready for your lesson?" She looked up grinning at Elijah.

It took a solid three hours for Elijah to fully understand what he was doing but she had to admit he picked it up faster than she'd expected. She couldn't help but laugh a little watching him, his young appearance often made her forget that he was in fact a thousand years old. At least he had a better idea of technology than some old people, her grandfather had yet to grasp the concept that batteries eventually die and had been known to call people asking how to get the phone working. She laughed realising she was aptly comparing her grandfather to Elijah.

"Why must I learn this again?" Elijah grumbled, accidentally opening the camera instead of messages like he'd meant to and she wondered if maybe the old phone had been a better option after all.

-

Elijah
May I ask why you've taken the liberty of putting yourself under The Love of My Life?

The Love of My Life
I don't know, bet you won't change it though

Elijah
You're quite right about that.