Imagine #47: Jughead (Riverdale)

Imagine Jughead falling for you even though you've been friends your whole lives (don't pretend you guys don't want this)

"Anyway I have a really good feeling about meeting Weatherbee. He's going to love the ides of bringing the Blue & Gold back." Betty said but your attention was elsewhere. Jughead and Archie were having a very hushed conversation by his locker and you could swear you'd heard your name. It was a shame you had virtually no lip reading skills. "Y/N are you listening?"

"I am." you protested and Veronica scoffed knowing exactly where your attention had been. "The Blue & Gold. I think it's a great idea, Betty, you'll do great."

"Okay so you were listening." Veronica paused. "But you were still staring down Jughead."

"Maybe I was staring at Archie." You challenged, not wanting to deal with the impending barrage of questions.

"First of all, that's my job." Betty rolled her eyes. "Second of all, if you're giving that look to your twin you're worse than the Blossoms. Now spill."

"Things have been different since this summer. I don't know what to tell you." You said trying not to stare at Jughead as you spoke. "I think I fell for Jughead." You said without thinking. Betty squealed and Veronica had to slap a hand across her mouth.

"Do you know how long I've waited for her to admit it Ronnie?" Betty retorted the second Veronica removed her hand. "If Archie and I were endgame then they're soulmates."

You could feel your cheeks burning. "Please don't make a big deal out of it. We're just friends. I'll get over it eventually."

Veronica looked outraged. "You will not! You don't see the way he looks at you Y/N."

"He brought you raspberries because drunk you told him you wanted them and he waits at the corner for you every morning even though you're always running late and he's always early." Betty began the list she'd compiled over the years until Veronica slapped her as Jughead walked past. He smiled at you and you waved hoping he didn't question the red in your cheeks.

The second he passed, both girls were back on your case. "Tell me you saw that look at least."

"You're both crazy, he just smiled at me?" You raised an eyebrow, a part of you that you were trying to ignore hoping they were right.

"You're just blind." Veronica replied.

-

You took your seat at the table across from Archie, hoping that if you avoided eye contact with the girls they'd leave you alone for a while.

"I hear you finally admitted you're in love with Jughead." Archie smirked and you glared at your twin.

"You told him?" You said turning to direct the glare at Betty and Veronica.

"We were trying to find out if he'd admitted that he feels the same way yet." Veronica shrugged whilst Betty shot you an apologetic look. You rolled your eyes, not really minding. Little did they know you'd told Archie weeks ago.

"Speak of the devil." Kevin chirped, taking his seat and you groaned as you realized he knew as well. "Don't look now but he's coming."

You chose to keep your eyes trained on your salad tub in front of you, hoping the whole group wasn't staring at him.

Fabric made it's way around your shoulders and you looked up to see Jughead wrapping his jacket around your shoulders. You raised an eyebrow, opening your mouth to ask before he winked stopping you in your tracks. Jughead Jones had never winked at you before. Jughead probably hadn't winked at anyone before. He leaned in, gingerly tucking your hair behind your ear.

"Check the pocket." He whispered and your breath caught in your throat so you nodded instead of trying to find words. He smiled slightly, almost nervously, at you before walking away just as quickly as he'd come.

"What just happened." Kevin said breaking the silence in the group. The girl's heads flickered between you and Archie trying to decide who to interrogate first.

Archie raised his hands in mock surrender. "All I know is that he has a plan and I'm supposed to cover for you so you don't get in trouble with Dad for not coming home."

You rolled your eyes, pulling his jacket off so you could put it on properly. Hesitantly, you slipped your hand into the pocket retrieving a small piece of paper from inside. The paper was yellowed and torn at all the corners but it didn't take you long to recognize it. It was a drive-in ticket for The Bridge to Terabithia, the first movie you'd ever seen at the Twilight with Jughead.

-

The drive-in was deserted at 4:00 on a Thursday afternoon which wouldn't have bothered you only that seemed to include Jughead as well. You wandered towards the office hoping that he'd be in there.

The door's unlocked. -Jug

The sign read. You let yourself in, feeling oddly like you were intruding on a piece of Jughead's life even though it was just his work. It was something you'd never seen before and it felt weird to be stepping into it without Jughead at your side.

The first thing to catch your attention was the size of the room. It was tiny, packed with equipment and odds and ends. Against the wall sat a bed, covered in bundles of clothes. You frowned, not entirely sure why there was a bed in Jug's booth. Another note sat on the bed, your name scrawled on the front. You ignored the bed for now, picking up the note and opening it gingerly.

"When we were 9 years old, I took you to this drive-in for the first time. We saw The Bridge to Terabithia and you cried into my shoulder and made me promise never to go to our treehouse alone and because it was you, I never did. I bought you ice cream afterwards and you thanked me for being such a good friend... It was supposed to be a date.

The thing is that no matter how long I deny it, I've always been in love with you. And that means I can't lie to you anymore.

You asked me last week why you hadn't been to my house in so long. This is why.

I'm sorry.

The note kept going but the sound of the door clicking open behind you took away any focus you'd had. You dropped the note, watching it flutter to the ground before you turned around to meet his gaze.

"Juggie, tell me you don't live here." You whispered, scared if you spoke any louder your voice would crack. Tears pricked at your eyes, this whole time you'd been so wrapped up in your own problems you'd never noticed just how much Jughead was struggling. He didn't say a word but he held your gaze, giving you your answer. "How long?"

"A couple of months." He said quietly. "It's not as bad as it looks." He shrugged, eyebrows crinkling together as he watched a tear roll down your cheek.

"Why didn't you tell me? We have a spare room you could have stayed with Archie and I. Juggie for god sakes, I would have rented you a bloody apartment if I'd known. This whole time I've been moping about you not loving me back and you didn't even have a real roof over your head." You stopped as a smile twitched at Jughead's lips. "What?" You said smiling despite yourself simply because it was so rare to see Jughead like that.

"You said you loved me." Jughead said, a stupid grin playing on his lips.

"You said it first." You breathed out, biting your lip as he stepped closer.

"Technically I wrote it." He whispered and it took everything in you not to roll your eyes.

Instead you leaned in, finally connecting your lips. Jughead took a moment to react, his hands flying to your cheeks as his lips clashed with yours. You felt his jacket, a size too big for you, slip off your shoulders as your hands trailed from his neck to his chest. The two of you finally broke apart settling into a breathless silence.

"I should probably give you your jacket back." You laughed, your forehead only centimeters from his.

"Please keep it on." He whispered, your skin setting alight where he touched you, gently pushing the denim fabric back around your shoulders. "I like it."