Imagine #49: Kai

Imagine finding out Kai is back

"Can I keep her for another hour or two?" Stefan asked, as you tediously mopped the floor with the phone wedged against your shoulder.

"Please do. This house is a mess." You laughed, grinning at the outraged squeal of your five year old daughter in the back seat.

"You know when I offered to give you a day off, I didn't mean become the maid." Stefan said, knowing full well that you would have been on your feet anyway.

"It's fine. It's therapeutic, actually. Besides she could use some time with her Uncle Steffie." You teased him, thinking about all the supernatural drama he'd been wrapped up in lately. Honestly, it was more that Stefan needed some time with his honorary niece than anything else.

"Well in that case, I'm taking her for ice cream." Stefan smirked as your daughter cheered enthusiastically.

"Hey, I thought we agreed no fun uncle, boring mom." You protested, rolling your eyes. Both Salvatore's spoiled your daughter rotten and you couldn't blame them, you did too.

"Like anything in her life is boring." Stefan replied. "I'll have her home by 5, alright?"

"Actually do you mind picking up dinner on the way home? I can't be bothered to cook." You laughed, looking around the almost clean house and thinking how nice it would be to watch an MA movie right about now.

"No problem. My treat." Stefan said hanging up before you could object. He and Damon had been doing that for years now. They'd helped you find the house, paint the nursery, driven you everywhere you needed to go for months at the end of your pregnancy. They'd been there for you every step of the way since Kai had- since Kai had died and you couldn't be more grateful.

---

It took nearly forty minutes to finish cleaning and take a shower but you felt rather accomplished after overcoming the seemingly insurmountable task. You smiled to yourself, pouring yourself a glass of wine and settling on the couch.

The doorbell rang shortly after you collapsed on the couch. Stefan had a key and a bad habit of letting himself in unannounced so you doubted it was him. With a sigh, you decided it was probably Caroline and the twins and dragged yourself off of the couch and towards the door, glass of wine in hand. Stefan probably thought it would be nice to have a joint dysfunctional family dinner.

Kai's face was a mixture of dread and enwonderment when you opened the door. You felt your glass slip from your fingers but paid it no heed, instead trying to comprehend the sight before you. Kai was dead, that much you definitely knew, so whatever was standing before you probably meant you were losing your mind.

"Y/N." The word tumbled from his lips like an apology falling on your deaf ears.

"You're supposed to be dead." You whispered, still tripping over the very sight of him without any thought as to the consequences.

"I was." Kai said slowly. "Can I come in?"

It was like a flick switched when you came back to your senses. You didn't care how or why he was standing on your doorstep. All you cared about was that he'd betrayed you and everything the two of you had built together. That he was a heretic and a murderer.

"Why would you come here Malachai?" You said, using the full name he'd once let you use as venomously as you could. "I trusted you, I told you I loved you and what did you do? You became a heretic, you killed Jo at her own wedding, you put Elena in a coma, you ruined Alaric's life and Bonnie's life, you murdered your own nieces and you nearly killed me along with every other wedding guest!" You ranted, letting all the pain you'd bottled up the past five years come spilling out. Kai had broken you.