Imagine #28: Kai (Part Two)

Imagine escaping the prison world with Kai

You hummed as you walked down the aisles of the supermarket. Kai walked around the corner holding a bag of pork rinds, dropping them in the cart.

"What else do we need?" He asked, leaning in close to your ear and making your breath hitch in your throat. So you'd developed a crush on Kai Parker, it wasn't a big deal right? You had forever to vibe out how he felt.

"I think that's it actually." You said glancing over your list and into your basket. "Do you really need four packets of pork rinds?"

"Absolutely." Kai replied, throwing an arm around your shoulder triumphantly. Your skin tingled where he was touching it though you tried to ignore it. "So can I drive us home?"

"Not a chance in hell. That car is the last thing I have left of my friends and no offence but you've crashed four cars this month. Not happening."

The two of you made your way out of the supermarket. The doors of the supermarket slid open slowly, revealing a figure leaning over the hood of your car. Damon. You dropped your basket, ignoring the thud as everything tumbled out onto the ground.

"See now you've made a mess. There is milk everywhere Y/N, why would you do that?" Kai joked awkwardly, clearly trying to capture your attention. You ignored him, running towards Damon. "Oh and you're gone. Great." Kai muttered, walking behind you.

"Damon!" You yelled, causing him to turn around. He grinned holding his arms out and pulling you into a hug once you were close enough. "You're real right?" You said breathlessly.

"I'm real, I'm here. I'm so sorry Y/N. We shouldn't have left you here this long." Damon said into your hair, clutching onto you tightly.

"Well this is a lovely reunion." Kai coughed, causing Damon to let go of you with an annoyed groan.

"Seriously Y/N? You've been hanging out with him?" Damon complained.

"I really don't want to have this conversation when you left me here for three months Damon." You snapped, annoyed that he'd been so quick to insult Kai.

"Hey I'm here now aren't I? It took a while to figure out how to free you without the ascendant. Long story short, here's a vial of Bonnie's blood, drink up." Damon replied, handing you a small cylindrical tube.

"Not to interrupt but do you have one of those for me?" Kai asked sheepishly.

"We can split it, that will work right?" You said, reaching back to squeeze Kai's hand. You knew he was upset right now, having you here had been the only thing stopping him from going crazy that past few months and there was no way he was going to handle you leaving him here alone.

"Technically but- you can't bring him!" Damon said, glaring at Kai.

"Will it work or not, Damon. I'm not leaving him here." You dead panned, worried that you may actually have to.

"I mean- yes but." Damon began to protest but you ignored him drinking half the vile and handing it to Kai who downed the other half.

"Thank you." Kai said softly, squeezing your hand. Damon's eyes zeroed in on your entwined hands, raising an eyebrow but keeping his mouth shut for now.

"Now what?" You asked, raising an eyebrow as Damon settled back on the hood of his car.

"We wait, Bonnie's pulling anyone with her blood in their system out in fifteen minutes." Damon replied. "If there's anything you want to take with you, I'd go grab it."

You nodded remembering your photo album. "Actually yeah, there's a few things. Mind if I steal your car one last time?" You asked and Damon grunted but moved gesturing to the car with a broad sweeping gesture and a phoney smile.

You shrugged, hopping into the driver's seat and watching Kai slide in beside you before starting the engine and driving off.

"So we're finally getting out." Kai said quietly, an awkward tone to his voice.

"You don't sound so excited." You commented, trying to wipe the smile off your face.

"No I am- I'm just thinking about what happens now." Kai said slowly, you waited for him to continue, knowing he would have more to say. "Pull over."

"What? If we stop now I won't get that photo album in time."

"I swear to god when we get out of here I'll break into all their homes and get all those pictures back for you if I have to just pull over please." Kai begged.

You swallowed thickly and nodded. Stopping the car in the middle of the road. "Alright."

Kai swivelled in his seat to look at you, he reached over grabbing your hand gently. "I am so not prepared for this but I thought I had the rest of time... We're still going to talk right? When we get out of here? I mean everyone I knew is either dead or hates me so really you're all I've got."

"Of course we're going to talk. Kai, we're friends remember?" You said trying to be reassuring.

"Right. How long do I have?" He asked, fidgeting in his seat a lot.

"About two minute." You said checking the time on your pager that Kai had so generously forced you to carry at all times. "I'm so getting you an iPhone when we get out by the way. I am not paging you ever again." You said and Kai chuckled.

"How long have I got now?" He asked again, beginning to fidget more and more.

"I don't know, like 30 seconds?" You said with a shrug. What was he trying to do here?

"Okay yeah, that'll be enough." He said taking a deep breath. "I'm in love with you." He blurt out and you froze. In your mind you were still counting down the seconds. Tenntoen t

You took in a deep breath, not knowing what to say. Without thinking you leaned in, capturing his lips. His breath hitched in his throat and you smiled.

"I've waited forever for that." You grinned as everything began to fade to white. You were going home.