Chapter 18

John and Dave began walking to try find the cat. John had texted Jade to keep a look out for the cat. Dave texted Rose, who texted Kanaya who texted Karkat.

"It's really hot out here." John complained after an hour of searching.

"Welcome to Texas my friend."

"Hey, can we go get something to eat? It's really hot and I'm hungry."

Dave thought for a second. "Yeah okay. There's a sweet ice cream place down the road we could go to."

"Dave."

"Yeah?"

"We haven't eaten breakfast."

Dave laughed. "Dude have you never eaten ice cream for breakfast before? Come on we're getting ice cream."

Dave started walking in the direction of the ice cream parlour, leaving John no choice but to follow.

After Dave bought the ice cream for John and himself, they sat together on a bench across  from the park to eat.

"We're never finding that cat are we?" Dave said, resting his head on the back of the bench and looked up at the sky. "This city is too fucking big to find one damn cat."

John looked at his phone, "Jade said she hasn't seen it."

"Yeah neither has Rose or Karkat."
The two fell silent. Dave stared at the clouds slowly floating above them and thought about Bro's reaction when he found out a cat took his mixtape, if he would believe a cat took his mixtape.

Dave sat up properly, "You know maybe this isn't- THERE IT IS!" Dave threw down his ice cream and ran across the road to try to catch the cat which had just entered the park gates.

"Dave, wait! You're going to get hit by a car!" John sat up quickly, but waited for someone to stop and let him cross instead of dashing across the road and almost giving some poor soccer mom a heart attack, like Dave did.

When John finally caught up to Dave he had the cat in his arms, trying not to let it get away as it tried to get loose. "I got him!" Dave looked pleased with himself. He held the mixtape in his hand.

"Let's just take him back to your apartment. We can call Jade, Rose and Karkat and then we can decide what to do with the cat. It's obviously a stray."

"K". Dave stood up, still struggling with the cat as he and John walked back to the apartment.

***

"So," Rose said leaning forward, inspecting the cat. "What are you going to do with him?"

"Dunno," Dave said, petting the cat on the head lightly. "Maybe I'll just keep it, it's kinda grown on be. Besides it's not like it does anything, just sits there like it's governing all this shit."

"Maybe we can suggest names!" Jade pipped up, "We can't just keep calling it 'it' for the rest of it's life!"

"Sounds good. Fire away." Dave said back, awaiting their suggestions.

"What about Angelica?" Rose said. Karkat then muttered something that sounded like "liza" and "eggy" but Dave couldn't tell.

"Nah that's lame. But look at him all up and sitting there like he owns this place like a fucking mayor. I think I'll just call him Mayor. Hey Mayor?" The cat, now newly named Mayor, jumped into Dave's lap and began to purr.

"Mayor has chosen." Dave pet Mayor more.

"Looks like I have a new pet."