Chapter 22

Dave had tidied the whole apartment for the first time in years, he tried it once before but as it turns out couches are a bit of a fire hazard, Dave found that out the hard way. When he finished he made his way back to the ice cream parlour to meet with Rose.

When we arrived back to the parlour Dave noticed that someone had joined Rose at her booth. Now, Dave couldn't tell who it was as their head was turned from him but, he noticed the precise way the hair was parted so from that he came to the conclusion that it was John. It was.

"Uh, hey guys." Dave said as he sat opposite his two friends. Rose just smiled uncomfortably and said nothing. "Oh hey Dave, we were just talking about this story that's hit the newspapers and all major news channels lately."

"Oh yeah? And what's that?" Dave sat back on the chair all "cool guy" like (to show off? Maybe) but he really just looked like one of those stereotypical douchebag footballers in those white high school movies.

"Listen I don't think we should bring this up, I-I mean Dave we need to get going back to your place right?" Rose was trying urgently to change the topic but John was persistent.

"It's about those "super-humans", you know the people who have these super cool or dangerous powers who the government say may or may not be a threat to mankind? ...okay they aren't saying that but the news is implying it. No one has an official name of them but I see a lot of people on Tumblr calling them 'Mutants', like from the X-Men films, cool right?"

Dave went pale. Externally he looked calm and collected without any emotion on his face, but all the could think was "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck". This was not a good moment for actual human matchstick Dave Strider.

"Well, it's certainly...something." Dave was just about to fail in the art of staying calm. Dave and Rose looked at each other, both sharing the same look the white chick gives her friend while some other white douchebag flirts with her while at a house party, also in those white high school movies.

"Dave, didn't you say your brother was making dinner, it would be rude if we were late." Brilliant Rose, coming up with brilliant plans to save Dave's ass.

"Right! Yeah Bro would get really upset if we were late, sorry John. Guess we'll have to get going." Dave quickly stood up, followed by Rose. "Oh...right okay, I'll see you guys later?" Dave nodded with a small smile then B-lined for the door, Rose gave John a small smile and a quiet 'bye John' before following Dave out the door.

John stayed behind in the booth and ordered himself some ice cream while he tried figuring out why the hell the two of them got so awkward and uncomfortable all of a sudden.

Was it something he said?