Chapter 33

Dave fell asleep on the bed next to Mayor not long after Karkat left. Mayor had curled himself beside Dave, sound asleep and perfectly comfortable on the bed next to his owner.

They slept the night like that, until Bro woke Dave up for school. Mayor was not happy to be woken.

Dave got dressed, gave his daily pets to Mayor, ate breakfast and left for school with Rose, who had been awake an hour before he got up.

Dave never checked his phone.

"My mother messaged me this morning." Rose said on the way to school, breaking a silence between them. Dave looked surprised, Rose hadn't spoken to her mother in a while, though he didn't think she was that willing to talk to her anyway.

"What did she say?"

"She wants to talk about everything that happened, what will happen next. Dad moved out a few months ago," Rose paused for a moment. "She wants me to move back in."

Dave was surprised, "Do you think you'll go back?"

She gave a sad smile. "I'll talk to her about it. I can't keep avoiding my mother forever."

Dave didn't push the topic anymore, he could tell that she was still incredibly upset by the past few months. Admittedly, he would miss having her around he apartment. He would miss having someone to hang out with late at night and talk complete shit to. He would miss her.

They walked into the school building and made their way to the rest of the group, who had been hanging out beside their lockers.

Jade greeted them both happily. John was leaning up against his own locker. He wore a dark denim jacket with black jeans and his usual white tee-shirt. Dave tried to admire this new look without being too obvious, but Karkat gave him a sly smirk, catching him in the act.

The bell rang. Everyone went to their respective classes, but Karkat stopped Dave before he left, telling him that he needed to talk to him in the bathroom.

"Did you see the news?" Karkat asked him, standing against the wall.

"No," Dave answered, "I fell asleep after you left. Why, they haven't elected an orange baby for president did they?"

"That would be ridiculous"

Karkat's expression turned serious. "They passed the bill."

Dave was beyond shocked.  He was terrified. "Please tell me it's a completely different bill than the one I'm thinking."

Karkat shook his head and Dave's heart sank.

He slid down the wall and sat on the floor, head in his hands.

"What are we going to do?" he looked up Karkat, who looked at him expressionless.

"Rose knows too, we can all talk about it at lunch later. But for know we should stop going to the junkyard for the time being, we don't need to be caught at a time like this."

"If we haven't already."

Karkat walked over to Dave and held out a hand to help him up.

"We don't need to think about that right now," Dave took Karkat's hand as he continued, "We should get to class, our teacher won't be too impressed that we've missed the start of the lesson."

Dave didn't say anything else, only followed Karkat out of the bathroom and down the hall.

He had a pain in his head.