Chapter 34

Dave sat against a tree, his eyes closed as he failed to listen to the current conversation happening around him. Karkat had insisted on them and Rose talking about this 'situation' at lunch, but that plan had failed once Jade and John joined them, both of whom know nothing about said 'situation'.

Dave had stopped listening before they had arrived, not that he wasn't as concerned as his friends were, he was tired and since Karkat had broken the news to him that morning he was in a state of panic. 

Dave could only think the worst about what could happen if anyone found out about his powers, his mind usually went the government preforming human experimentations on him. It's always the government doing that shit. 

His absence hadn't gone unnoticed by his friends either. Karkat was worried about him but didn't want to push him too far, Rose was the same. John looked at Dave with the most concern, he had never seen Dave so...absent before, it wasn't normal. 

The rest of the school-day passed the same, Dave barely present during classes while his friends looked on, concerned. Today was the day of their Christmas holidays, so Dave wasn't too worried about missing out. 

The school bell rang. Dave left the school talking to Karkat about their plans for the holidays, Karkat assuring Dave that he would send an e-mail about when he was free, not that he wouldn't clear his schedule anyways if Dave needed anything. 

Dave was about to make the turn for his apartment when he felt a tug on his arm. It was John. 

"Hey," he said, smiling sheepishly, "do you have a minute?" 

"Yeah, sure." Dave smiled nervously, did John know his secret? Was he going to confront him about it? Would this handsome boy in front of him hand him over to government experimentation? Dave's thoughts ran wild.

"I saw this flyer a few days ago for this Christmas market slash festival the town is holding" 

Dave relaxed, visibly relieved, "They hold it every year, there're small stalls you can buy small homemade presents or cakes from, and they usually have games. It's held in the park so people can ice skate when the lake is frozen over."

"So I was wondering if you, well," John took a breath, "would you like to go with me tonight?"

Dave smiled, genuinely, as he looked at John. "Of course."

His mood had changed in an instant. Dave's headache has vanished as he walked into his apartment, beaming. Rose and Bro had exchanged looks, clearly noticing this difference. 

They had agreed to meet at the festival at eight. Dave did everything in his power to make himself presentable as possible, he showered, put on some nice clothes and brushed his hair. Before leaving, he looked at himself in the mirror. He took off his sunglasses and placed them on the small table in the hall as he left. 

Snow was falling gently, coating the park in a light white blanket. Dave met John by the front gates, he wore a black button up shirt and skinny jeans under a winter coat. He looked nice, Dave thought as they greeted each other. 

They walked together in the snow, leaving faint footprints behind them. Fairy lights on the stalls twinkled lazily around them, the light reflecting of John's glasses. Friendly-faced locals sold them hot chocolate and small buns and smiled as they left for another stall. Mistletoe had been placed around the festival at random, catching unsuspecting couples by surprise. 

John and Dave played ring toss and other small fair games, Dave had won a small dark blue teddy bear, dramatically presenting it to John as a gift. 

Snow had continued falling during the hours they had spent together, flakes sticking out in John's dark hair. Dave pointed it out jokingly, "You look like some kind of snow king like that," John laughed as he continued, "oh please your majesty, don't create a permanent winter on this land, Mayor hates the cold."

"Shut up." They had reached the last stall near the lake, it was run by a small old lady selling homemade candles, she smiled at them as they walked by. 

John stared up at Dave, "I don't think I've seen you without your glasses before," 

"No?"

"No, I haven't. You were even wearing them with the human torch costume Kanaya made you." 

Dave  chuckled at that, he remembered Halloween night well, especially with what almost happened with John. 

"You should take them off more often, you have nice eyes." 

They  stopped walking. They stood underneath a a large tree beside the lake. Dave was taken aback by John's compliment. 

John broke the silence, "What do you want to do, Dave, how do you want to spend your life?"

"Well, I," Dave thought for a moment, "I guess I just want to live life to its fullest."

John looked up, Dave followed his gaze. They were standing under mistletoe. 

"Well," John looked back at Dave, "Merry Christmas, Dave Strider." 

 John pressed his lips to Dave's. Dave stood shocked for just a moment before closing his eyes and leaning into the kiss, placing his hand on Johns cheek. 

Snow fell around them as they broke away, smiling, both enjoying this perfect moment, wishing it would never end.