Chapter 24

Dave slept well, wanting to be well rested for the day ahead. He had even woken up at 8 am (a rarity) just so he could have enough time to get ready.

Dave's morning routine was a long one. He took a long shower, spent ages in front of the mirror just to make sure his hair was right, cleaned his sunglasses a total of four times just to make sure they were clean enough, spent about thirty minutes to choose what to wear (which Rose will forever give him shit about I might add), and finally ending with a polish to his shoes.

Everything was going fine until Mayor decided he needed extra petting and jumped into Dave's lap, leaving him covered in cat hair. Dave changed immediately and put Mayor in the time out corner (Mayor was not impressed).

Soon the time for Dave to leave for John's house came. Dave said his goodbyes to Rose and Mayor, with a little kiss on the head for Mayor because Dave felt bad for the punishment towards his beloved cat, and walked out of the apartment.

John lived about twenty minutes away from Dave, which Dave thought was handy (if he ever wanted to visit again).

Dave knocked gingerly on the door. It opened to John's father, who told him that John was upstairs and he could meet him up there.

Dave walked up the stairs with guidance from John's father and was led to a small, square balcony, John was sitting on one of two deck chairs. There was a small table in between the two chairs with some snacks and drinks on it.

John's father left, leaving them alone. "Hey." Dave said, taking a seat next to John. John smiled back and told Dave he could help himself to any of the treats on the table. Dave picked up a can of coke.

"So, you wanted to hang out?" Dave tried breaking the ice.

"You wanted to go on a date?" John laughed, poking fun at Dave's word choices. Dave tried defending himself, only to dig his hole deeper.

They talked for a good hour, mostly about school, Dave avoided the 'mutant' discussion as best as possible but John didn't seem to be bringing it up as much as he did in the parlour.

"So, how's Rose, she was really upset in the library a while back." John asked and grabbed a bag of crisps.

"Oh, well uh yeah she's okay for the most part." Dave didn't like talking about Rose's situation without her present or without her knowing consent, it just wasn't right to talk about it without her.

"Oh okay," John was silent before adding "are you guys dating?"

Dave almost choked on his drink, it took a good few minutes of coughing before he could answer.

"What?! Why would you think that?" Dave choked out.

"Well, you two seemed close." John looked slightly embarrassed, but there was also a look on his face that said he had more to say, but wasn't saying it.

"Yeah, close. We've been friends since we were kids, she's basically my sister, and I am not about to fuck my sister and be all in those incestuous acts. That's just really fucking gross man."

"That is really gross, sorry I was just chec- wondering." John stayed quiet after that.

Dave leaned back into the chair and looked over at John. Now, Dave was definitely not checking John out, oh no, he was just simply observing how nice his hair was or how cute his nose was. Definitely not checking him out.

But Dave felt different this time, he couldn't explain it really, there was just something about being around John that made him...happy? Dave wasn't sure.

His phone buzzed. "Oh, it's Bro, he wants me back for dinner, I'll text you later." Dave got up from the chair.

John led him downstairs and said goodbye at the door. Dave was half way down the path when John called him. Dave turned back to see John wave and smile at him. Dave fucking melted.

Dave had walked a foot bit away from John's house when he pulled out his phone and called Karkat.

"Yeah hey Karkat? I think I'm gay."

"I fucking knew it."