Chapter 19

Dave lied on his bed, Mayor curled up comfortably on his stomach. Dave pet the cat lovingly and he looked at his phone for the hundredth time in the last hour.

It had been almost a week since Dave had adopted Mayor, and he had gotten very attached to him. Although Bro hadn't noticed the cat yet, Dave kept Mayor in his room, and that's where Mayor stayed.

Dave had also begun getting increasingly closer to John since their accidental sleepover. They texted and called often.

Now, Dave was waiting for John to text. He was eager for John to text him, Dave didn't know why, but he wanted John to text him back quickly. It had been a goddamn hour. What was he doing?

Dave threw his phone, a bad idea obviously, but Dave's teenage angst along with frustration lead him to be unable to see sense and do really fucking stupid things.

The phone screen broke.

"What's keeping him Mayor? Do you think his phone is dead? Is he away? No, he'd take his phone with him if we went somewhere... I think." Dave rambled to Mayor often. Mayor would give Dave a meow back every so often, showing his support though Dave couldn't shut the fuck up sometimes.

Dave's phone buzzed.

Dave shot up from the bed so fast Mayor was almost followed the fate of Dave's phone by being flung across the room, luckily, he had claws.

"Ow! Oh shit sorry Mayor!" Dave placed him gently on the bed. "Such greatness must be protected." Mayor walked away from Dave and curled up on his pillow.

Dave picked up his phone. It wasn't a text from John, it was from Rose.

Text from: Rose 15:36

Rose: Meet me. Library. 20 minutes.

Dave: What?? Why?

Rose: 20 minutes.

Dave quickly began getting ready. Before leaving, he kissed Mayor on the head. "Be back soon buddy, okay?"
He filled up Mayor's food bowl too, just incase.

Dave closed his bedroom door fully before leaving for the library. It must have been important if Rose's texts were so short. He'd find out soon though, the library wasn't too far away. He had to run to make it in twenty minutes though.

He arrived at the library with three minutes to spare, but Rose looked agitated and annoyed. Karkat and John accompanied her. "Hey Rose, what's the matter?" Dave asked, slightly worried. Rose doesn't usually get this worked up.

"I need to look for a few books. Didn't want to come alone. Feel free to look around." She went inside.

Karkat turned to Dave. "She's acting weird."

"I can tell. Did you see her texts? Super short. Is she okay?" Karkat shrugged, "maybe she didn't sleep?" Dave was confused, he was worried about Rose. She was basically his sister; at least, he treated her that way.

"Should we follow her..?" John suddenly piped up. Dave looked up quickly, "Hey."

"Hey." John said to him back before asking Karkat if they should go inside or not.

"Why not." Karkat entered the building, followed by Dave and John.

Inside, Karkat decided to go wander on his own. He explained that when Kankri heard he was going to the library, he was given a list of books he had to bring back.

Dave was left alone with John.

"So..." Dave whispered, trying to make conversation, "where to now?"

"I know this section where there are really good joke books." John smiled at Dave. Dave liked the smile, now Dave wasn't saying it was cute, oh no. He was just saying how John should smile more, he thought, his big dorky smile...Dave stopped thinking at that point.

"You've been here before?" Dave wondered.

"Yeah, a couple of times, My dad usually comes round here so I just walk around looking at everything. But one day I found the joke section and it was really cool so I kept coming back." As John walked and talked Dave couldn't help notice how long his eyelashes were, now Dave wasn't staring at John, nope! No way! Dave simply glanced over and happened to notice how long they were, and he definitely didn't notice how thick and nice they were, or how they suited his eyes well or anything! Dave thought none of that, that's what Dave kept telling himself.

"Hey...Is that Rose?" Dave had to stop his not admiring because past John he saw Rose, hands messing entwined in her hair, a confused and sad look on her face, her trying to focus on a book but she didn't seem able to.

"Is she okay?" John asked, but Dave already made his way over to her and say by her side.

"Rose?"

"I'm trying to read Dave, please let me be." It sounded like she was trying not to cry.

"Oh come on Rosey, I know you better then anyone...tell my what's wrong." That when she broke. Rose covered her face with her hands and lent into Dave as he wrapped his arms around her.

They stayed like that for a few minutes, John walked over once she had stopped, he didn't want to intrude.

Rose wiped her eyes dry. "I apologise for that, I don't know what came over me."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Dave was extremely worried at this point.

"Yeah...I'll be fine, just build up stress and the like. I should be going home now, goodbye you too." She walked off.

Dave knew what she had said was a lie, but he wouldn't push her.

"Is everything alright?" John asked.

"Yeah...should be...I'll talk to her later about it though." Dave lent back in the chair. "Where did 'Rosey' come from?"

Dave smiled. "Old childhood thing. She hated the name but I kept calling her by it. Eventually it stuck and she stopped caring but I like to use it now any again. Sentimental value, you know?" John nodded.

The seat next to Dave was pulled out and Karkat sat down. "Hey guys, where's Rose?" Dave explained what happened. Karkat too was worried, but decided he wouldn't ask her about anything until a day or so had passed so she had time take care of herself.

None of the three wanted to leave the library though, so they stayed and chatted for a few hours.

Dave kept staring subtly at John, although sometimes John would catch him looking Dave would play it off casually and look at a poster behind John's head. Dave didn't know what it was, but there was just something about John that...confused him.

Eventually John had to leave. Karkat and Dave were left alone in the library.

Karkat turned to Dave with a puzzled look on his face. He inhaled before saying, "Dave are you gay?"