Chapter 25

The next few days were rather hectic, in a way.

First off Dave had to tell Rose his exciting news once he had returned from John's house. Rose, of course, was ecstatic, so much that Mayor got startled by her sudden yelp.

Then there was Bro.

Now, Dave hadn't the slightest fucking clue about how he would react to the news, it was hit or miss.

Dave didn't want to do it right away, though he also wanted to talk endlessly about his newfound crush so he had to weigh out the pros and cons. That and Bro always knew when Dave was lying, it was like some sixth sense or something, or Dave was a terrible liar, either or.

Dave came to the conclusion that out was better than in (metaphorically) so he told Bro the next day. It was miss for a couple of hours as Bro had left the apartment quieter than usual. Dave had started to get scared and Rose was just preparing to tackle a nervous breakdown when Bro burst through the door, arms full of rainbow patterned smuppets saying that the 'right apparel was needed' and handed him a scarf. Dave also got to enjoy a cupcake that said "Glad you're gay!" It was delicious.

But that wasn't the bad part, actually coming out was easier than he expected (though the people he told already had some idea about it). What happened was tied to Dave's powers (remember those? Yeah they haven't shown up in quite awhile), like most stereotypical powers, his, as he had just discovered, were emotion based. So now loved up Dave had to put out a fire every few minutes to prevent a widespread catastrophe.

The worst incident was on Tuesday. Dave, Rose and Karkat had all been out at the boardwalk, just chilling, as teenagers do...sometimes.

They had been sitting at a bench along the beach (with a candle placed in the centre, very convenient) when Karkat asked about John.

Now Karkat only wanted basic trivial things, like how they were and if they had been talking.

Karkat did not get that.

Dave became Kankri for just a moment and almost preached about how amazing John was and how great his as-hair looks, and such, when Dave fully face planted onto the table, (ouch), but it was a bad decision.

Unlike most basic teen novels/movies where the teen's power is controlled by complete anger or sadness etc. Dave's was controlled by his happiness and how gay he was for John (with a bit of anger mixed in but that's not as powerful). So in that moment, Dave was so gay that he set the whole top of the bench on fire.

Rose luckily was accustomed to Dave's fires and quickly knocked over the candle, framing the fire on the poor inanimate object with no say in things, shameful really.

Dave was both shocked and horrified. Both Rose and Karkat tried calming him down by reassuring him but it was no use, Dave was stuck in a state of shock for a few days.

That brings us to the present.

Dave was still a wreck from the Tuesday before and Rose was still staying with him at his apartment.

For the first time Dave was scared to talk to John in case the same thing happened again. It was killing him.

Karkat had finally had enough of Dave's bullshit and forced him outside to bring him for ice cream, a nice change from Dave always trying to fix every situation with his love of the frozen food. If it worked on everyone else, it would work on Dave, wouldn't it?