Chapter 20

Dave went red. "W-What?!"

"Are you gay?" Karkat was emotionless saying it, he wasn't joking around.

"Why ask something like that! No, why ask here?!" Dave spoke a bit too loudly, then getting shushed by the old librarian.

"I saw the way you looked at John, and you were doing practically everything to impress him." Karkat stayed calm, Dave was as red as a firetruck.

"W-well he's new! And I um...don't wanna seem mean?" Karkat didn't look satisfied with the answer with the answer, but didn't push Dave any further.

After a few minutes of silence Dave spoke up. "Um...are you gay?"

"No."

"Well um, if you think you are then it's okay!" Dave stuttered his words, he was still baffled with Karkat's question.

"Are you hungry?" Karkat stood up and picked up a bag next to him. "Cause I'm hungry. Let's grab a burger, come on"

Dave followed, not wanting to question Karkat's sudden change of topic, but was still confused on why he asked...

He never really questioned his sexuality, although he couldn't say he had ever had a crush on a girl (or boy). Dave just figured stuff would happen when they happened.

Dave wasn't exactly paying attention to where he was walking. He walked into a pole.

"Ah fucking shit!" Dave screamed holding his face. Karkat started laughing. "You fucking idiot!" Karkat bent over laughing, tears forming in his eyes.

"Shut up!" Dave thought his nose was broken, it wasn't, just a bit of blood.
Karkat didn't stop laughing until they reached the small diner a few streets away.

They both ordered their burgers and fries, soon the waitress brought them their drinks. So um..."

"Dave I'm not gay." Karkat messed with his straw. "No no I know that, I was just going to ask about the whole Terezi situation."

"I don't like Terezi that way." He said bluntly. "But you said-"

"No, I didn't. I simply said I was worried about her, you said I liked her. Trust me, I don't."

"But you kept acting weird every time I brought up you asking her out or Gamzee making a move on her!" Dave was now more confused than ever.

"It made me uncomfortable speaking about it, and Gamzee and Terezi would be the most toxic relationship ever. He's a crack head and can get super violent." The waitress brought over their food.

"I mean that's true, but-"

"There's no but about it Dave. I don't like Terezi like that." Karkat began to eat.

Dave let the subject go. It became more awkward between himself and Karkat after the conversation. Dave then remembered Rose, not that he had forgotten about her of course, other things just prevented him from texting her, like the awkward conversation with Karkat.

Dave pulled out his phone.

Text Sent: 17:02

Dave: hey, are you sure you're okay?

He set his phone down and waited for her to text back.

"Did you see the book Rose was reading?" Karkat said suddenly, making Dave slightly jump.

"No? I didn't look at it, I just figured it was one of those dark magic wizard books she likes to read."

Karkat half laughed at Dave's statement, "Yeah she does like those doesn't she? But that's not what she was reading. It was about family problems and how to deal with issues in families." At this, Dave say up straight, paying full attention.

"Do you think that's what's wrong? Do you think she's okay at home you don't think any thing's happened to her d-"

"Dave it wasn't a book on abuse if that's what you're worried about." Karkat cut him off. "But there's something going on. I think it's best if you talk to her, she'll talk to you."

Dave looked at his phone again, Rose hadn't text him back. "You think?"

Karkat nodded. "Yeah, maybe you should go over to her house and do a face to face talk, it's more personal. You can head away now if you want."

"Now Karkat, a gentleman never leaves a lady to pay for a meal." Dave said mockingly.

"Okay first, that's sexist you dipshit and second just go already before I take my lady hand and smack you." Karkat raised his hand as a threat, Dave laughed.

Dave waved goodbye as he left the diner, it was time to check on Rose.