Chapter 30

On Monday school started again. College seemed to be just around the corner and freaked Dave out. Aside from not knowing what to study after high school he still had to figure out a university to go to. He wanted to study out of state, but with the severity of the bill he wasn't sure. Dave thought out of country seemed like a better option.

He hadn't spoken to John since Halloween night. Dave ignored him in school until lunch, that was when the whole gang met up. There was an uncomfortable tension between them. It stayed like that though out the week.

Friday night, Dave got a text.

John: hey, you free tomorrow evening?

Dave stared at his phone, reading the text. He had already over looked John trying to kiss him, he didn't want to miss anything this time.

"Hey Bro? Are we doing anything tomorrow?"

Dave stood in front of the cinema, he was waiting for John. It wasn't specified if this was a date or not, and Dave was wrecking his head trying to figure it out. He emailed Karkat countless of times before John arrived. Karkat's last email was telling Dave to calm the fuck down and to enjoy his night.

When Dave saw John walking down the street towards him he started freaking out. John smiled when he saw Dave. Dave melted. "Hey, Dave! Glad you could make it."

"Yeah, sure, no problem at all really, ha..." Dave was quite clearly freaking out. They walked into the cinema together.

The movie was long, a bit boring for Dave, but John seemed to really enjoy it. At one point John rested his hand on Dave's arm. John either had no idea he had done it, or had done it intentionally because he kept it there for most the movie.

After the movie, John took Dave to a small pizzeria that was only a short walk from Dave's apartment. There was light conversation between the two. John mostly asking Dave's opinion on the movie.

"So how's Rose?" John asked, completely out of the blue. It caught Dave off guard.

"Like, generally? She's fine, I guess. Why?"

"Well she was staying at your house for a little while right? I just wanted to make sure everything was okay."

"Oh," Dave wasn't going to tell what had happened to John. Rose's business was Rose's business. "Everything's fine, dude. No need to worry."

John nodded, not wanting to push the topic further. When the two had finished their meal they headed back to Dave's apartment.

"I had a fun time tonight." John said with a smile. Dave agreed, basically in a trance staring at the boy in front of him.

"We should do this again sometime," John then got nervous, it was obvious. He looked at Dave. Quickly, John leaned up and kissed Dave on the cheek, completely stunning him.

John pulled away, "Goodnight Dave, see you in school." He turned and walked away, not saying anything else. Dave stood there speechless.

Dave struggled to open his front door, but when he did he was greeted to Bro standing in the doorway.

"I totally wasn't watching everything from the peephole."

Dave groaned and pushed past his brother and into the living room. He immediately emailed Karkat.