Chapter 29

Dave sat in the living room as he, Rose, and Bro watched the news the following week. The bill was met with a lot of opposition, from civil rights groups that found the bill too fascist. But the general public were scared. No one knew how people got their powers or if they could be passed down genetically or not. People in support of the bill also argued that super humans' powers were dangerous. They argued that it could take a handful to overthrow a government. This was basically looking like the plot to the X-Men (please don't sue me Marvel).

"What am i going to do?" Dave was exhausted, he hadn't gotten a good night's sleep since Halloween. He put his head in his hands and sighed.

"They won't let this pass into government, they can't. It's a complete invasion of privacy and human rights." Bro said, sternly. He was angry. At the government, at the world, at himself. He had always wanted to bring Dave to a safer country ever since his powers started showing when he was a kid. Bro had always known the US Government would pull something like this. He had hoped he would have enough money saved to move before it happened. Life just doesn't work that way.

"What if they start testing in schools? I'll be so beyond fucked. Could I go to jail? Or worse?"

Rose put a hand on Dave's shoulder. "They won't do that, we're underage, and it's like your brother said, it's an invasion of privacy."

"Will that stop them? They could decide that it's completely legal and then I'm fucked."

"No one will let you go to jail Dave, I won't allow it." Bro was completely stone faced and incredibly pissed off. Dave couldn't watch the news anymore, the worry in him was eating him alive. Dave grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. He walked to his room silently.

"Hey Mayor," Dave greeted his beloved cat with a most deserved pet on the head, appreciated by both parties. "I don't know if I'll be able to stick around here long, the government has decided to hate me." Mayor meowed in sympathy.

There was a knock on his door, followed by Rose entering his room.

"You know, we're not going to let anyone take you to jail right?" She was just as worried as he was. Dave has been her best friend since childhood and had helped her through everything. All she wanted was to be able to help him as well.

"Maybe we could head out for a while, go to the park or get something to eat or just...walk around?"

Dave was hesitant, but agreed. Rose was right, he needed to leave the house, maybe some fresh air would be good for him.

They walked around the city, looking at shop windows that had decorated for Christmas way too soon.

It went down hill when they went to the park.

Protesters belonging to both sides filled the green plot of land. Both sides shouting, gradually getting more violent, stones being thrown, hair being pulled. It wasn't a pretty sight.

One protester held a sign with "Freaks Out!" printed on it. It made Dave's heart drop."We should go." he quietly said to Rose, he didn't want to get dragged into the fight.

The shouting continued after them as they left the park, . They could still hear the protesters down the street. It was getting more violent. They walked to a small cafe a few blocks away from the park, ordering actual food instead of just eating ice cream all the time. They sat next to the window and picked away at their lunch.

"Have you talked to your mother since you left?" It was an extremely personal question, but Dave wanted to know if everything was okay between them.

"She's called me a few times about how I'm getting on and if I'm taking care of myself. Dad's moved out." She took a sip of her soft drink, "Thanks for letting me stay with you guys these past few weeks. I can't even express with words how appreciative I am."

She smiled at Dave. "We're happy to have you for as long as you want, dude, just like, don't walk in on me in the shower. That would be super fucking awkward."

Rose was about to answer him a loud bang and shouting came from outside. The protest had spread, firecrackers and other flammable substances were being thrown. Rose pulled Dave away from the window, in case anything was thrown in through the window. One of the firecrackers crashed through the window, ignited. As it sparked a tablecloth caught fire, it spread quickly.

Dave was terrified, but he had to concentrate. He made improvements during the training sessions in the junkyard. Maybe he could help here.

Focusing on the flame he tried the stop the spreading, he also tried not to put too much attention on himself. The fire stopped spreading, that was good, but he still had to put it out. He focused more.

The fire began to die. Slowly at first, then quenching immediately. Dave felt a strong sense of pride, he did it. He had more control, he finally felt a small bit of ease when thinking of his powers.

The owner ushered the teens out of the cafe and away from the conflict. Dave and Rose made their way back to the apartment, shaken by what had just happened. Bro had saw the protest on local news and immediately bore questions down on the two when they arrived home.

Later that night, Dave told his brother about the fire.

"And you just put it out? Just like that?" Bro was taken back, but also proud that his brother was finally getting the hang of things.

"It was terrifying, but I did it! I don't think I've ever been this happy thinking about my powers in like...forever!"

Dave sat beside his brother on the couch. Neither of them knew was would happen with the bill or the future. But they would get through it. Together.