Chapter 21

Dave knocked on Rose's door.

Her family had quite a large house near the edge of the city. Her parents both worked well paying jobs, even though Dave wasn't actually sure what their jobs were.

Rose's father worked mostly out of town, travelling place to place often. He rarely came home.

Dave wasn't sure what Rose's mom's job was, all he knew was that she mostly worked at home, and only left the house to go shopping for groceries and such.

Dave rang the doorbell and waited. He noticed Rose's Dad's car was missing from the driveway, which was strange since to the best of Dave's knowledge, her Dad had just come home from a business trip.

It was a few minutes before Rose finally opened the door. Her hair was a mess, she looked liked she had been crying.

"Dave!" She tried sounding enthusiastic and forced a smile. "W-What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if you're okay and clearly you aren't, can I come in?"

Rose stepped aside to leave him inside. "We should go up to my room... Mom's not really in a proper state for visitors right now." Rose spoke more quietly than usual, this made Dave extremely worried.

Rose shut the door behind Dave and they both walked to Rose's room, she closed the door behind her.

"Now, tell me what's wrong with you, I'm starting to get really fucking worried Rose."

Rose sat on her bed. "Dad's left us." She said quietly, tears filled her eyes.

"Woah what?! What happened? God Rose I'm sorry." Dave quickly sat beside her.

"I'll tell you what happened! Those business trips? They weren't business trips at all! Turns out he was off to fuck other women and spend money on booze, gambling and hookers." She put her head in her hands and began to cry. Dave put a reassuring arm around her.

They sat there for a while, Dave letting Rose cry. Soon she sat back up and wiped her eyes, "I-I'm sorry, ha... god I don't usually do this I should-"

"No no no don't be sorry," Dave stood up and held out his hand, "Why don't we get you out of this house first, I don't think this is the best place for you. Why don't we head and get ice cream or something."

Rose gave a sad laugh. "Dave, with the amount of ice cream you eat you'll get diabetes in no time."

Rose took his hand and stood up. "That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make." They both laughed.

Dave and Rose walked out the front door, passing Rose's mom who was passed out on the couch, a bottle in her hand.

***

"Soh," Dave (attempted) to say, while shovelling spoonfuls of ice cream into his mouth, "Do youh whanna shtay at my plache for a while? Jusht to keep you're mind off things?"

Rose sighed. "Dave, please don't talk with your mouthful, I can hardly understand what you're saying."

Dave swallowed. "Sorry, I was asking if you wanted to stay over at mine for a while, just to get a clear head space."

"That's not what you said exactly."

"I thought you couldn't understand me!"

Rose chuckled. "I'll accept your offer. Having a change of scenery wouldn't do me too badly."

"Alright then!" Dave sat up quickly, hitting his thigh on the table on the way up. It hurt like hell but Dave didn't acknowledge it, though he did hunch over slightly. "Lets go now. Oh god I need to tidy up...can I leave you here for a few?" Dave stumbled out of the booth and knelt beside Rose pleadingly.

"It's rude to leave a lady by herself, but I'll let it slide this once. Don't be late."
Dave shouted a 'thank you' as he ran out the door and to his apartment to get it ready for his 'special guest'.