The Start Of Term

Chapter 5: the start of term
-Bex p.o.v.-

Tired. That's all I could think. I needed sleep. I needed rest. I needed something, anything to allow me to rejuvenate for the first day of term.

Maybe I should take a nap. I thought to myself. It would help, I could wake up just before they all arrived and go get me something to eat from the kitchens because Merlin knows when the sorting will be finished.

So that's what I did. I slept.

The train would be coming in at about nine o'clock, the ceremony would start at nine-thirty. I was set to wake up at five before nine.

Waking up was the hard part though. My bed was so soft and warm, I didn't want to leave it, and without Lily hitting me with a pillow and screaming for me to wake up, it was hard to motivate myself to wake up. That wasted fifteen minutes.

After getting into costume and everything, I had ten minutes left. Without wasting a minute I hauled myself down to the kitchens. And let me tell you, hurrying down seven flights of stairs to the ground level and then having to go all the way across the floor to the opposite side of the building from where the stairs are, the journey to the kitchens is not an easy process. By the time I got there, minutes were left until the sorting was to start.

I shrugged it off, it's not like they can start to sorting without the headmistress. So now, taking my time, I got a sandwich from the house elves.

In no hurry, I walked over to the great hall. Pausing before I entered the room, I had to make an entrance, I can't just walk right in, that would be boring.

One hand was holding my sandwich, the other was positioned on the door. Suddenly I pushed the door open, causing everyone to turn and look at me.

"Miss. Dumbledore!" Minnie exclaimed from her spot at the front of the large room, surrounded by many first years.

"Sorry I took so long, I had a sandwich to get. We all know how long these things last." I excused myself with a wave of my hand.

The first years looked at me with wide eyes, staring more at my costume than me.

"What? You've never seen a sixteen year old girl dress up like an old man?" I questioned. "I thought you guys should get the full Hogwarts feel, usually my dad is the one doing all this, but since he's not here it's my turn to welcome you. I just thought you would like it better if I dressed up like him."

They were looking at me blankly, eyes wide with wonder.

I started to walk through them, making my way up to the teachers table. On my way I began to shed the costume, revealing my normal attire.

I took the large witches hat off and stuck it on a little first years head, it ended up covering her eyes. I yanked off the fake beard, sticking it to a boys face as I walked past him. I threw the long robes over a kids head, using him as a coat hanger.

"If any of you are Slytherins I want my stuff back," I informed them, "actually, you should keep it, I don't want it back after a Slytherin has touched all over it," I smirked.

"Miss. Dumbledore!" Minnie scolded.

"I was kidding!" I defended, draping myself across my dad's throne-like chair. "You may now begin the sorting."

She narrowed her eyes at me but started the ceremony anyways. She called out names, going on and on, down the list.

When a kid sat on the stool and waited for over fifteen seconds before the sorting hat called out a house I spoke up, "oh great! We have a defective one, I'll have to wipe this one's memory and send it back to the Muggle World!"

Some older students giggled, but Minnie and the other teachers didn't find it very funny. "Miss. Dumbledore! That was very inappropriate!"

"I was only joking Minnie! We don't send kids back to the Muggle World if they are defective! We kill them off!" I just thought I should break the news to the kid in a gentle way," I smirked.

The kid started to tear up, his eyes wide and terrified. "Really?" He asked timidly.

"No, I'm only joking with you kid. You're magical, no need to worry." I waved him off.

"Detention!" Minnie called out, "stop scaring the first years!"

"You can't give me detention! I'm headmistress!" I boasted with a chuckle. "Continue the ceremony!"

Minnie waited until the Marauders, who had been cracking up through this entire little scene, had stopped laughing before she restarted the ceremony. The kid was sorted into Hufflepuff, making me feel a little guilty for scaring him so much. You know how Puffs are, much too sensitive.

When Minnie finally ended the ceremony, my sandwich was long gone, it was time for me to give my speech.

I stood and went to the podium that my dad always stood at when giving a speech. "Welcome back to the older students and welcome to the newer. First things first, I have to inform you all of some rules that Minnie wrote out for me," I sent the crowd a face. "But seeing as I have misplaced them, in my fireplace, that isn't going to be happening." There was some cheering by the students. "Secondly, I need to talk about places you are not allowed to go. Well, we have that big, dark forest whose name happens to be 'The Forbidden Forest' that's a pretty obvious sign it is not allowed to be roamed by students. There is also the area around the Whomping Willow, that is unless you want to be crushed by a tree and spend the next eight weeks regrowing your whole skeleton, trust me, not such a great time. There is also far dungeons, I guess you could go there if you want, it's full of man eating trolls, I spent my last week of break feeding them small animals, I'd be happy to feed them students if anyone wants to volunteer." I shrugged, "now onto the times and dates and whatnot. Quidditch tryouts are going to be the second week of school, sign up on your house bulletin board, ask the captain your questions blah, blah, blah. Any clubs or whatever speak to your Head of House." I grinned at the crowd of students, "lastly, you all may be wondering why I am up here and not my father. Guess what, I'm the new Headmistress! Yay!" I giggled, "no, I'm just filling in for about a week, maybe a little longer. My dad had important business and stuff to do, and only a Dumbledore can give the start of term speech, let's be honest here. It wouldn't be the same." I placed a hand over my heart in a dramatic way. "So anyways, I'm in charge until my dad gets back, good luck to all of you. Let's eat!"

The food appeared on cue. The four house tables were covered in many different types of food, plates and platters covering every inch. The teachers table was a little more organized. Only food that the teachers enjoyed was set on the table.

I only spent a few minutes staring at the fancy dishes before I stood and went to the Gryffindor table. It felt good to be on familiar ground, as much as I loved being in charge and running things, it was weird to be up there with all of the old people.

"Bex!" Lily grinned when I arrived at the table. She jumped to her feet and enveloped me in a hug. "How was the rest of your break? When did you become the temporary headmistress?"

"Hello Lily," I smiled in greeting, sitting down next to her. "It was good. I was with Lucius and Narcissa for a lot of it," I told her, and it was the truth. Just not the entire truth. "Uh a few weeks ago. My dad had to leave unexpectedly."

Lily chattered on, telling all about her break in France. "Paris was so beautiful! My favorite part was the Cafés. They were just magnificent!" She told.

I nodded, "yes, I love the cafés. Did you go to La Coupole?"

"It was so wonderful!" She spoke with only amazement in her voice.

We continued to talk about the beauties of France, while stuffing our faces.

"How was your break, Evans?" James spoke, coming out of nowhere and sitting down next to her.

Sirius came on my side, whispering into my ear, "hello there, Dumbledore."

Lily and I shared a look, we were surrounded by Marauders. She huffed and glared at James, "what do you want Potter? It's too early in the year to deal with you."

"So go out with me," James smirked, "come on Evans, all you have to do it go on one date with me."

"Never in a million years." Lily deadpanned, looking away from him and back to her plate.

"How about you, Dumbledore? Go out with me?" Sirius smirked at me, messing with a strand of my curly, brown hair.

I sent him a look, "haven't we discussed this before, Black? I thought I told you to never speak to me again. Are you daft or just hard at hearing?"

He chuckled, "quite skipping around the question, Gorgeous, do you want to go out with me?" He tapped my nose with his index finger, looking at me in question.

"Alright, Black. I'm going to say this once and you better understand. Since you are so fascinated with my lips, read my lips, and read them well." I leaned in, close to him. "I would rather be kidnapped by Voldemort a million times."

"That's harsh, Gorgeous, that hurts me." He placed a hand over his heart, a smirk still plastered on his face.

"I doubt it hurt as much as I do having to look at your face constantly." I shrugged, looking down at my plate, cutting off a bit of chocolate cake and placing it in my mouth.

"That really hurts, other girls would kill to get to stare at my face all day long." Sirius told, sounding a bit smug.

I looked at him blankly, "then why don't you go bother one of them," I took another bite of my cake, savoring the burst of chocolate. "Mmmmm."

"Want to taste something sweeter?" Sirius winked, draping his arm across my shoulder.

"I'd rather not." I shook my head at him, taking another bite. "I doubt anything could be sweeter, anyways."

He took that as a challenge, "do you want to test that?" The smirk on his face widened ever so slightly. "You know, Dumbledore, I haven't gotten my kiss yet, I haven't seen you in three months and this is the greeting I get?"

"You shouldn't even get a greeting, but seeing as you don't know what 'don't speak to me ever again means' so you have gotten all the greeting you deserve." I told him firmly, looking away defiantly. "Besides, those kisses were mistake. It's not like they meant anything."

Lily giggled from my side, her and James had been listening to the entire thing. "He so likes you." She whispered in my ear, not allowing the other two to hear, though they looked like they knew what she said.

I rolled my eyes, "yeah right." I muttered to Lily.

"Oh, that hurts. Why are you hurting me so much? It's like you enjoy stabbing me in the heart repeatedly." Sirius placed his hand firmly over his heart, faking hurt.

I rolled my eyes but stood, I went to the front of the room, up to the podium. "So there is the start of the term feast. I hope you new students enjoyed it, you'll have to deal with it six more years if you didn't." I chuckled, "so that's the end of the night, first years please follow your house prefects to your common room. Get some sleep because tomorrow is the start of classes, please don't wander around the castle. I might have to give you detention." I smirked at the students, "goodnight, have a nice sleep, you are all dismissed."

All together, everyone stood and started for the doors, crowding around the doors and trying to all get out at the same time.

"Aria!" Severus and Regulus were at my side. "I've missed you so much!" Sev wrapped my in a big hug.

I grinned, "I missed you too Sev. What's up? Hey Reggie!" I hugged him as well.

"How was your break? Good?" He questioned, hugging me back.

"Yeah it was good, I was with Lucius and Narcissa a lot." I smiled, "what about you guys?"

"It was boring." They spoke together, causing me to giggle. "We'll see you in the morning, but we have to go," they hugged me before leaving together for the Slytherin common room.

I giggled, walking out of the great hall. I had only just stepped out of the great hall when his arm was around my waist and he was pulling me close to him. My smiled dropped from my face and I was suddenly glaring, "do you not know the meaning of personal space, Black?"

"Oh, so when my brother is all over you it's fine, but when I come within a foot of you it should be against the law." He rolled his eyes, looking down at me.

I scoffed, "yes, because your brother is always 'all over me' as you call it, and you never come any closer than a foot. That's so accurate." I spoke, sarcasm dropping from my voice.

"So you do fancy my brother," he glared. "I knew it."

My jaw dropped, "that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I do not fancy your little brother! He's one of my best friends, not my love interest."

Sirius looked at me with a raise eyebrow, "so you don't like my brother?"

"Of course not," I shook my head at him, "now, if you excuse me, I have sleep to get to." I ducked under his arm and started towards the stairs.

"How convenient, I was just heading there," he smirked, his long strides easily catching up to me.

I sighed, it's fine. I'll be able to go to bed right after. I thought to myself.

We were able to go up the stairs with no interruptions, making it to the common room in record time. Yet when we got there it was empty, everyone was already off to bed.

"Well, goodnight." I spoke to Sirius, noticing that it was my first time voluntarily speaking to him instead of responding to something he had said with a snarky comment.

He smirked, "good night, have a nice sleep," he shoved his hands in his pockets.

I gave him a small smile and turned to go up the staircase, to the girls dorms.

"Wait Dumbledore!" He called back to me before I could open the door. "I never did get that kiss."

I rolled my eyes, "I doubt you ever will. Goodnight Black, go get some sleep." And I disappeared to the girls dorm rooms.

-----------------------
Hey guys! What do you think? Comment your favourite part and/or favourite quote of one of the characters! If love to find out what you guys enjoyed!
Comment, vote, share, fan, and follow! Thanks guys!