Late Night Detention

Chapter 38: Late Night Detention
-Bex p.o.v.-

It was the middle of the night. I hadn't been back in my dorm since before dinner. In fact I hadn't been anywhere. I was sitting in the same place, have been since I left the great hall after dinner.

The cool air, blowing my hair back and forth, was calming. I opened my previously closed eyes and looked up at the stars. I was on the roof, at the very top of the astronomy tower. I was in the spot. The spot being mine, Andrew, and Sebastian's spot.

The night was quiet and peaceful. Not a sound could be heard aside from my breathing and the rustling of the leaves as the trees swayed back and forth.

There was a small clacking, someone was coming up the tower stairs.

The person gave a huff, plopping them self on the edge, their legs swinging over the side of the tower. The person placed their head gently on the railing, looking out into the stars shining in the night sky.

She began speaking, talking aloud to herself. "This is harder than I thought it would be. How am I suppose to get her to like me? I'm not used to this. People usually just like me. How come she doesn't?"

She spent an hour or so talking into the night, voicing her problems to the stars. When she stood I caught sight of her face, it was new girl. She had been the one sitting there going on about her problems.

The next night she did the same thing. She came up to the astronomy tower and spoke aloud.

She did the same the night after that, which confused me slightly. She was a nerd and it was a school night. Why would she willingly stay awake into the late hours of the night?

She came again the next night. It was becoming a routine for her to sneak off here in the middle of the night. Of course I always made it known if I was leaving the dorm. I didn't sneak out, or quietly leave. I didn't care who saw me, I walked right out, sometimes I didn't even show up in the dorm. And no one questioned it. It was a usual thing for me to be gone when the girls were going to bed, but I was always there in the morning, sleeping soundly.

But new girl, she was strange, she went out of her way to sneak out, to leave the dorm after the girls were already asleep.

It was the fifth night of her being out here. The fifth time in a row she sat on the edge and talked about her feelings. Tonight she was talking about some boy.

Tired of listening to her halfway through her nightly talk, I swung myself in through one of the windows, landing in a crouch.

She let out a small squeal, jumping in her place. She almost slid off the side of the tower. "How long have you been up there?" She asked immediately, blushing a violent shade of red.

I shrugged, "the entire time. I've also heard all of your previous nights worth of confessions."

She gasped, "that's where you disappear off to?" I ignored her question, turning to leave. "Wait! Don't go!" She called after me, scrambling to stand.

"Why not?"

"Where are you going?" She asked curiously.

"Why do you care?" I retorted, still walking away.

"Because I'm curious." She answered, hurrying after me.

"If you must know, I'm going back to the dorm. I'm tired and Sebastian is waiting for me."

"Sebastian, you mean your kitten?" She questioned, falling into step next to me.

"He doesn't appreciate being called a kitten, he likes being referred to as a loyal and noble representative of the feline family." I pointed out. "Would you like to be called Gryffindor? Or would you like to be called a brave individual who enjoys living life on the edge? It's the same thing."