Chapter 39

Third person's POV

"See you later, Dad!" You gave your father a warm hug before stepping outside. As you left, you caught a glimpse of your dad waving goodbye, and he closed the door behind you.

Passing by various shops and houses, you couldn't help but let out a quiet sigh while your friends chatted animatedly, their laughter and smiles filling the air.

"This was, like, a major shock, OMG!" Chocho exclaimed, laughing beside you. However, you had nothing to contribute to the conversation, no words or laughter bubbling up within you. You weren't in the mood for conversation or laughter. All you could manage was a smile, an attempt to show them your brighter side.

Yet, deep inside, you were grappling with the same old feelings you had always carried: fear, sadness, and anger. Thoughts of your parents haunted you. If something were to happen to your dad, just like it did in 2006...

"Why are you so quiet?"

Startled, you turned your head to see Boruto looking at you with his usual tired expression. You shook your head, forcing a smile.

"It's nothing. I'm just not in the mood to talk, that's all."

Boruto grinned and shook his head, seemingly unconvinced.

"Don't give me that, (y/n). That's not the way you smile." He pouted, and his words hit you like a small sting. You lowered your gaze to the ground, feeling embarrassed.

"Hmph. I'm just not in the mood, alright?" you muttered, looking away.

He scoffed. "Yeah, right."

"It's true, though!"

"Whatever you say."

As you walked down the bustling street, passing shops and houses that extended beyond the village, Boruto took a deep breath.

"Let's go to the library after school! Just the two of us!" He looked at you with surprise, and you nodded without quite understanding why your heart was suddenly racing.

What's wrong with me now? You asked yourself, feeling your cheeks flush.

Sasuke's POV

"Did I hear that right? Boruto with my little sister alone in the library? Fine, but they'll never start a relationship as long as I'm here," I thought to myself as I picked up my lunch and made my way to the table where the others were sitting. Everyone seemed to be going about their day as if nothing had happened, except for my older brother.

Where was he? I hadn't seen him since this morning, and he hadn't been talking much since yesterday. I mentally growled in frustration.

I quietly took my seat, glancing at the others around the table.

"D-did you hear what Onii-san asked (y/n) this morning?" Boruto's little sister piped up. Of course, I had heard.

The others nodded in response, some of them laughing, some smiling, and a few looking as uninterested as I felt.

"That guy's got some guts!" Inojin mused, resting his head on his hand. "If it were me, I'd just ask her out straight away!"

"If he's even in love with her, that is, you idiot," his friend replied, facepalming. What was his name again? Shikadai? Or was it Shikamaru?

"Well, I have a theory!" Salad grinned evilly, looking rather pathetic.

"They have been childhood friends, remember?" She adjusted her glasses. "Boruto has been in love with her since they were little!"

"But that's a bit strange, isn't it?" Boruto's little sister questioned. "I mean, they're friends, but still..."

"Shut your mouth, girl! Don't ruin our dream! We live to ship! Shipping is good! SHIP IS LIFE!" Chocho exclaimed, hitting the table with her hands, causing everyone in the cafeteria to look at her in shock.