Chapter 59

The forest around you was slowly revealing signs of your impending departure. It wasn't just Konoha that was under attack; you could hear the distant cries for help as the Sand Village faced the same turmoil. The echoes of screams and yells filled the air, the aftermath of a nearby explosion, most likely near a skyscraper.

Sarada, her heart racing, wrapped her blanket tightly around herself in an attempt to quell her fear. Sasuke and Itachi remained calm, their expressions undisturbed. It often baffled you how they could maintain such composure in the face of chaos, almost as if they were characters from a shounen anime.

"We have to move away from here," Itachi declared, surveying their surroundings from his shoulder. He had bought the tents recently to accommodate the group.

However, the arguing between you and Sasuke showed no signs of abating. Whenever you suggested leaving, he would berate you for recklessness, and you would respond by accusing him of being egotistical. Sarada and Itachi often found themselves caught in the middle of your disputes.

"EGOIST!"

"RECKLESS BRAT!"

"Guys, please..." Sarada implored, her voice trembling, "W-we have to get out of here, don't we!? Why are you arguing now, of all times?!"

Sasuke clicked his tongue, annoyance etched on his face as he packed his belongings. "It's not my fault that I want to protect my family!"

Your anger continued to simmer beneath the surface, but you fought to keep it from consuming you. The sight of Konoha in ruins, your friends still there, and the uncertainty surrounding your mother drove you to the brink. You didn't want to start anew; you wanted to save those you loved.

"I just want to save them!" You retorted, gripping Sasuke's shirt as you shook him, desperation in your eyes. "Is it so wrong to want to save the people I love?"

Sasuke stared at you with vacant eyes, clearly lost in his own thoughts. He didn't seem to have a response.

Itachi stepped forward, grabbing your arm gently. "Imouto..." He looked at you with sympathy, "Please, let go of him. We only want you and Sarada to be safe."

"What about Himawari, Chocho, Shikadai, Inojin, and Boruto? Don't they matter to you too?" You pulled away from Itachi, fixing your glare on them.

Sasuke growled, kicking a stone aside. "Have you forgotten what they did to you?" He asked, his voice laced with bitterness. "Boruto attacked you, his 'lover' injured your arm, and the others called you a murderer."

"Murderer!"

"Whore!"

"Get lost!"

The cruel memories came flooding back. The painful glares, the accusations of being a murderer—all of it resurfaced in your mind.

"(y/n), tell me... are you really a murderer?"

Your eyes widened in realization, and you let out a giggle, surprising the Uchihas with your response. They stared at you in a mix of surprise and concern.

"That might be true," you began, your tone lighthearted, "But there's a reason behind it, there's a difference!" You waited for Sasuke to respond, but he remained silent, clearly at a loss for words.

Turning away, you started packing your things, proud of your response. Itachi shook his head in disappointment as he continued to pack, and Sarada joined him. Sasuke continued to stare at you, his disappointment evident.

You had valid reasons to return, and he would continue trying to stop you.

-

Boruto descended the stairs, his steps filled with purpose. He found Inojin, busy drawing a big smiley on a sheet of paper, a sign that everything seemed fine, at least for him.