Chapter One-Part Three

Haesung Hospital Auditorium

   The orientation was a complete bore for the twenty six year-old Jung Yoon Mi. The young brunette with hazel brown eyes and well-defined lips had no idea how many times she had yawned during the entire session. Luckily for her, the wait for the end of the boring programme was over, as the orientation came to a close. It was half past twelve.

   The orientation ended with a few photos taken and some handshakes. The interns, with happy smiles on their faces accompanied by some random giggling, looked enthusiastic to start off their new life in the hospital. A few of them, Yoon Mi noticed, were beginning to grumble about long hours and night shifts.

   Yoon Mi knew what they were thinking about, because she was thinking about the same thing as well. Yes, being a doctor is a glamorous and lucrative prospect, all thanks to those television dramas that propelled the occupation to a higher standard. Yet, the job is demanding and tiresome. It can kill off even the smartest medical student and send him or her spiralling down towards the psych ward.

   Unlike them, Yoon Mi was more of a realist-in a good way though. Being a doctor not only requires brain and brawn, it also needs an  immense amount of determination. It was obvious to her that those interns were either just too materialistic or they were too afraid to face the reality of life.

   Being a doctor, after all, is a humanitarian calling, not a money-making business.

   Luckily, her two friends were not like anyone of them, although they were as cheerful as the rest of them. She watched with a gleeful heart as the siblings made hilariously comical facial expressions while taking their selfies.

   "Yoon Mi, come here! Take a photo with us!" Tae Yeon invited with a grin.

   "Aniyo , you go on..." Yoon Mi rejected politely, waving her two hands.

   "Ah, come on! It's just a photo! Please, Yoon Mi, please..." Her friend begged with a puppy-faced expression.

   "Yeah, Yoon Mi. It's just one photo." Tae Yeon's twin brother, Tae Jin, cut in. Tae Yeon nodded her head in agreement like an obedient five-year-old girl.

   Oh no, not that jibe again..

   Yoon Mi thought for a while, but realised that she didn't really have much choice. She could handle the sister who was ten minutes younger than Tae Jin, but when it came to Tae Jin, she was always on the losing side. Tae Jin can be very, very insistent, especially when demands are not met.

   "Don't make me repeat myself, Yoon Mi. You know pretty well how I behave." He said with a smirk.

   Oh, shoot....

   "Yah, Tae Jin! Don't scare her!" Tae Yeon jibed, knowing very well what her brother was doing. Tae Jin giggled.

   "Ani, ani, he didn't scare me! Right, Tae Jin?" She gave a doubtful smile at Tae Jin.

   "Dangyeonhaji! Don't worry, my little sister. I won't hurt our best friend. Am I right, Yoon Mi?" He darted the question back to Yoon Mi with another show of his playful yet sinister smile.

   Damn, this octopus!

   "Yes, that's right! He won't hurt me! Okay then, just one photo!"

   "Jinjja?! One photo?! Okay then!" Tae Yeon squealed in delight.

   Yoon Mi joined the duo, and together they ended up taking multiple photos of their comical faces.

   The interns received their envelopes containing attendance sheets and templates for their progress reports. Inside the envelope too were their ID tags. Yoon Mi took out hers and checked. A smile immediately appeared on her face.