Finale

"Marriage is not a noun, it's a verb. It isn't something you get. It's something you do. It's the way you love your partner every day."

(Barbara De Angelis)

   Everyone was elated about the news of Dae Young and Myeong Joo's marriage. Those from the hospital, and even the soldiers back at base, could not stop being happy for the couple. Dae Young and Myeong Joo found themselves struggling to handle wave after wave of congratulatory remarks as well as well-wishes from their own colleagues, but they took it with an open heart.

   Myeong Joo's father had given his consent as well.

   While Dae Young and Myeong Joo celebrated, Si Jin could only look on in envy. He was proud of them, no doubt, but deep inside, he felt that he should have done the same. All the while, Dae Young had been hesitating to act, and Si Jin was still unsure about his future. After the lost of Hong Guan, Si Jin was kind of shattered. It changed him a little; he was more concerned now. He had lost two great people he had ever known in his life, and their deaths remained as a silent reminder of how unpredictable life could be. Dae Young finally broke the deadlock by proposing to Myeong Joo, that's a good thing. However, Si Jin began to have doubts about the life he wanted to have.

   It's not that Si Jin wanted to avoid responsibility. It's just that he didn't want Mo Yeon to get hurt inside out if anything happened to himself. Of course, it's unavoidable, but the silence inside the heart could kill a person softly without knowing it. He began to wonder whether it was a mistake to propose to her that early, when she was mortally wounded and in the brink of death. She might have agreed, but at that time, she was not in a mindful state. She could have said anything else without knowing what topic she was referring to, and it could be dangerous if those words were mere empty promises made to ease the pain in the heart. Although she said that she was willing to be a part of his life, he worried about her well-being.

   Will they have a happy life? Will they have a peaceful life? Will they find the peace in their hearts if they ever become one? What are the risks? Will those risks hurt more and bring more suffering, causing endless pain and sorrow?

   Can they accept their fate, and live with it? Was their relationship a blessing, or a curse? Did they really meant for each other, or they were just acquaintances put together to heal each other's wounds?
Was their love honest, or was it just dependency?

   There were a lot of questions playing in his mind, and the list went on and on, seeking answers. Unfortunately, he couldn't find each and everyone of those questions an answer he was satisfied with. It was so difficult to clear his mind off that issue that it began to disturb his work. In his office, he couldn't stop staring at the ring he had bought a few weeks back. The silvery object was just as simple in design like the one Dae Young had, except that this one had nothing engraved on it. It wasn't fancy–unlike the ones the royalties around the world could get, but it wasn't all that ugly too. To him, it was just nice.

   He wanted to put it on her badly, but his doubts were pushing him back.

   Maybe, there's one person he could refer to.

   Baek Joong Shin.

   He's a soldier, and he's married. For sure, he too felt the same thing before he made that life-changing decision. Perhaps, he might have some advice for Si Jin to follow.

   Si Jin placed the ring back into a small purple box and out it aside. He took out his mobile and began dialling the number.

*****