Chapter Ten-Part One

"Don't compete with the past. Expect great things for your future and love your present self."

(Kang Woo-Seo In Guk from the drama Master's Sun)

Haesung Hospital   The medical volunteer team along with the precious cargo arrived at the hospital in four hospital vans, while the patient was transported using a specialised ambulance

Haesung Hospital
The medical volunteer team along with the precious cargo arrived at the hospital in four hospital vans, while the patient was transported using a specialised ambulance. As soon as they entered the main entrance, the ambulance split from the four-vehicle convoy, and then headed straight instead to the emergency bay instead of the front gate. Not a single one of the medical volunteer team actually noticed the ambulance splitting away from the group until they unloaded from the vans.

They didn't pay much attention to it though, assuming that the patient had been brought to another location within the hospital to be unloaded and safe from contact from the patients and staff of the hospital. They gathered around, stopping for a moment to study the hospital they worked in. They were all now in their civilian clothing. Wearing the military uniform all the way back from Uruk made them relish the feeling of having their own clothes on their skin once again. Not to say the uniforms were uncomfortable, but they preferred their normal, everyday clothes pretty much.

Nothing had changed in the hospital. The main gate remained the same as ever, the sliding glass doors with the hospital emblem stuck on it remained well-polished as always, and in good working condition. The walls remained white, the floors were sparkling clean, and as always, patients and staff, along with visitors came in and out of the hospital. It was just another busy day at the hospital, and it would always stay that way. A few doctors and nurses walked passed them and somehow paid no attention to the group, as if they were invisible. Those doctors and nurses might be new interns, which explained the distant animosity.

The only thing that changed was that there was a new security guard guarding the main gate. The regular one was nowhere to be seen.

"Well, here we are-back to where we started." Ja Ae shifted towards Dr Song. "Strange, right? After everything we've been through, nothing seemed to change, except for the guard."

"That's the reality of life-we don't feel change until we see it ourselves." Dr Song replied with a heavy sigh. "We should go inside. Don't want to look like lost fools here." He rallied the team together and they entered the hospital. As they walked, they noticed how laboured every step was, some reluctance and nervousness evident in every move they made.

Unlike the previous trip, there was no welcoming party. Everyone was busy with their own things, people walking here and there searching for something. No one for Dr Song to pester with, and no one for them to regard with. It was so weird to be regarded as strangers even in their own hospital. Nearly two months outside of Korea and now they felt disconnected from everyone else. Probably, they were not told about the team returning from Uruk, and that made them upset.