Chapter Ten-Part Six

"My plan was always to run away. You..who is braver than anyone else loved me, who is more foolish than anyone else. For that, I'm grateful and sorry. If you're reading this will, this stupid me is hurting you to the very end. Don't forgive me. As much as I thought of you, I hope you'll be happy. I love you dearly, Yoon Myeong Joo. Whether I live or die, it will never change."

(Seo Dae Young)

Five days laterChuan-Shan Revolutionary BaseSichuan, China   The air was sombre and the weather was dark at the military cemetery in China, where fellow soldiers and comrades gathered for the burial of a fallen soldier

Five days later
Chuan-Shan Revolutionary Base
Sichuan, China

   The air was sombre and the weather was dark at the military cemetery in China, where fellow soldiers and comrades gathered for the burial of a fallen soldier. The wind blew softly in the mountainous region, sending dried brown leaves flying harmoniously against the wind while lasted. It was a perfect resting place for a soldier–the calm, green atmosphere was so inviting and relaxing, the picturesque view of the valley breathtaking.

   Si Jin watched in silence in his seat, dressed in his ceremonial greens together with Dae Young as the Chinese honour guards paraded in sync, ceremonial rifles in hand. Due to strict military restrictions in China, as well as some 'customs' he had to observe diligently, he was not allowed to be the pallbearer even though he badly wanted to. This was Hong Guan's final journey, and Si Jin wanted to be with him till the end. The men of Phoenix Team, led by Hong Jun, carried the casket of their fallen Captain, the Chinese flag along with the PLA flag draped on top of it.

   Si Jin and Dae Young were the only Koreans in the event. It was awkward, but they didn't care. What really mattered was that they did what soldiers should and always do–honour the fallen. They watched as the casket was lowered, the younger brother visibly trying to hold back tears, as the honour guards stood in a line in attention and aimed the rifles into the air. It was amazing how well-synchronised the Chinese were, moving in orderly fashion in everything they do. As the casket was lowered, the guards fired their rifles altogether.

   When the burial was over, when everyone else had left, Si Jin didn't leave. He stood in front of the tombstone of his comrades all alone, the wind blowing behind him. He had lost another comrade once again; Hong Guan joining the list of fallen heroes Si Jin knew very well. Si Jin crouched and slowly placed a hand on the tombstone, head lowered to the soil below. "They say only the dead have seen the end of war." Si Jin muttered softly. "Plato said that." He chuckled softly. "How weird it sounds. I wonder if you actually saw how it ended. If you had seen it, then you must have foreseen this end on yourself. What an idiot you are. Why do you want to risk it all despite knowing how the outcome will be?"

   The only thing that replied to him was the ruffling of trees and eternal silence.

   "Perhaps, this is what we live with everyday. We cannot escape death." The Major looked around him briefly, taking note every tombstone he could see. All of them were inscribed in Mandarin, a dialect he didn't fully master. The good thing was that the writings were used by the previous Korean dynasties before they transformed into the handwriting they used today, so even though So Jin might not be able to pronounce it correctly in Mandarin, he could still figure out the names in his own mother tongue. Those tombstones belonged to the people of high rank, and probably those who had made great contributions to the nation. He sighed. "Well, at least you have a lot of heroes accompanying you now. You won't feel lonely. In fact, this place is beautiful."